Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Nokia Lumia 930 overheating and battery drain

infinidim
4: Newbie

Folks, I have now had my Lumia 930 since Vodafone started offering it on the pay monthly contract.

I really like my Lumia 930 but there is one issue that I have got which really is making me cross. Every so often the phone gets really hot and I get dramatic battery drain. I have done quite a lot of research on this and find that it is a known issue with the Lumia 930 with Windows Phone 8.1 as originally shipped.

What happens is that a background task appears to be left running. I know this as when it happens I look at "battery saver" in "settings" and find which app is using the most battery at the time of the issue. I always see that the one that is using the most battery is still running as a background task.

I power down the phone and then restart it and the issue has gone away. I am now careful to make sure than when my phone goes into sleep mode that there are no background programs running. If I forget I nearly always have the phone get very hot and the battery drain is dramatic.

I have reset the phone and re-installed all the apps and data but this does not resolve the issue.

I believe that this issue is either a firmware ("Cyan" - 02061.00066.14252.51001) or Windows Phone 8.1 (8.10.12397.895) issue. I don't have update 1 to Windows Phone 8.1 installed as Vodafone / Microsoft have not issued it officially yet but do understand that this might address this issue and some other minor issues that don't really affect me.

I also believe that Lumia Denim will also help this situation but I have no confidence in Vodafone UK shipping this in any short timescale (Q4 according to my contacts in Microsoft) to its customers.

I know the issue with overheating and battery drain are in all variants (CV, Vodafone, etc.) of the Lumia 930 runing the release version of Windows Phone 8.1 as some people that I have talked too have had replacement phones which have not address the issue.

I would ask the moderators on this forum to prgress this through the Newbury technical team to get this address with some urgency as potentially there is an incident waiting to happen here.

Regards

Infinidim

Infinidim
11 REPLIES 11

hrym
17: Community Champion

As a matter of interest, have you tried running the phone vanilla - with no apps installed - to see if the problem still occurs?   If it does, then it would appear to be either OS or hardware-related.  If not, add your apps one at a time until it happens again and you may have found the culprit.

@hrym wrote:

As a matter of interest, have you tried running the phone vanilla - with no apps installed - to see if the problem still occurs?   If it does, then it would appear to be either OS or hardware-related.  If not, add your apps one at a time until it happens again and you may have found the culprit.

Yes I have and still had the issue.

I have also added individual apps to my phone as well to see which ones posible cause the issue.

Strangely enough the three apps that have caused issues have been Facebook (developed by Microsoft), Nokia Camera (developed by Nokia but now is Microsoft) and HERE Drive (Nokia - mapping copany). The reason why I think it is these apps is because they are the three primary apps that I tend to use a lot.

I still think it is firmware / operating system related as the only really common thing between all these apps (other than Microsoft / Nokia ) is that they all were running tasks in background and I forgot to close them fully down before the phone went into "sleep" mode.

Hope this helps

Regards

Infinidim

Infinidim

thesoupdragon

My 930 also does this from time to time, especially when charging.

I also noted that using the Phone while charging i.e SatNav in the car causes the Phone to become so hot you can barely hold it.

I am part of a Microsoft feedback group online. I recently had to complete a questionaire around technical issues, overheating was high on the list...

The Phone does cool very quickly and doesn't seem to suffer any ill effects because of the heat.

I hope they can sort this out with the next firmware release, it can be quite worrying when it gets really hot!

@thesoupdragon wrote:

My 930 also does this from time to time, especially when charging.

I also noted that using the Phone while charging i.e SatNav in the car causes the Phone to become so hot you can barely hold it.

I am part of a Microsoft feedback group online. I recently had to complete a questionaire around technical issues, overheating was high on the list...

The Phone does cool very quickly and doesn't seem to suffer any ill effects because of the heat.

I hope they can sort this out with the next firmware release, it can be quite worrying when it gets really hot!

thesoupdragon, I am glad to hear that you have been able to feedback this issue to Microsoft via the feedback group..

I am also part of a feeback group but for the Surface RT and Windows RT. We are also very lucky as we have a contact in Redmond (Washington) so we can give feedback to the firmware and hardware teams as well as the Windows RT team. So far, from our feedback, we have had firmware updates as well as slight modifications to Windows RT.

Lets hope that Microsoft can get to the bottom of this issue on the Lumia 930 as it's really a pain.

Regards

Infinidim

Infinidim

my phone heats up when playing games, but i have no bad batery drain, i have alot of live tiles and stuff going on and my battery lasts well into day 2 on a average day and prety mustch doesnt need charging until 8-9 hours on a usal heavey usage day.  the ehat isnt to bad for me yes its warm but it never goes any higher that its highest point for me.

infinidim
Just installed the official update 1 to Windows Phone 8.1 so hopefully they might has fixed the issue.

Monitoring now to see what happens

Regards

Infinidim
Infinidim

thesoupdragon
I installed the update last night, Cortana looks good but early days with regards to the over heating.

63johnw
Mine seems to be zipping along with everything now.

Browser seems quicker and can now swipe sideways on pages I couldn't before. Still looking to see what else I can find.

Used Cortana to send a text for the first time, did quite well even with my broad north east accent !

davidbern11
I'm tempted to buy this phone in the new year, but concerned with the heating issue. Have read online lots of comments from users experiencing overheating. Then after updating to Windows 8.1 Update 1, they see an improvement. Is this the case for you guys?? Theres not a lot of information from users after Update 1 (on other sites/forums), i can only assume the users see an improvement so are not concerned with updating any previous comments made.