Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Nokia Lumia 930 overheating and battery drain

infinidim
4: Newbie

Folks, I have now had my Lumia 930 since Vodafone started offering it on the pay monthly contract.

I really like my Lumia 930 but there is one issue that I have got which really is making me cross. Every so often the phone gets really hot and I get dramatic battery drain. I have done quite a lot of research on this and find that it is a known issue with the Lumia 930 with Windows Phone 8.1 as originally shipped.

What happens is that a background task appears to be left running. I know this as when it happens I look at "battery saver" in "settings" and find which app is using the most battery at the time of the issue. I always see that the one that is using the most battery is still running as a background task.

I power down the phone and then restart it and the issue has gone away. I am now careful to make sure than when my phone goes into sleep mode that there are no background programs running. If I forget I nearly always have the phone get very hot and the battery drain is dramatic.

I have reset the phone and re-installed all the apps and data but this does not resolve the issue.

I believe that this issue is either a firmware ("Cyan" - 02061.00066.14252.51001) or Windows Phone 8.1 (8.10.12397.895) issue. I don't have update 1 to Windows Phone 8.1 installed as Vodafone / Microsoft have not issued it officially yet but do understand that this might address this issue and some other minor issues that don't really affect me.

I also believe that Lumia Denim will also help this situation but I have no confidence in Vodafone UK shipping this in any short timescale (Q4 according to my contacts in Microsoft) to its customers.

I know the issue with overheating and battery drain are in all variants (CV, Vodafone, etc.) of the Lumia 930 runing the release version of Windows Phone 8.1 as some people that I have talked too have had replacement phones which have not address the issue.

I would ask the moderators on this forum to prgress this through the Newbury technical team to get this address with some urgency as potentially there is an incident waiting to happen here.

Regards

Infinidim

Infinidim
11 REPLIES 11

@davidbern11 wrote:
I'm tempted to buy this phone in the new year, but concerned with the heating issue. Have read online lots of comments from users experiencing overheating. Then after updating to Windows 8.1 Update 1, they see an improvement. Is this the case for you guys?? Theres not a lot of information from users after Update 1 (on other sites/forums), i can only assume the users see an improvement so are not concerned with updating any previous comments made.

I have had the update and ever since that my phone hasn't had the heating up issue. There are a couple of minor issues still but I know that they will be fixed in the next firmware update (denhim)

Regards

Infinidim

Infinidim

63johnw
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
Hi David. I have no overheating with the 930 I use. They also seem to be updating apps a bit now too, still behind android/ios but seem to be trying.