Ask

Solution

2.4ghz issues

stulowndes
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi

I wonder if anyone could help.

I have the latest router (I think- signed up in June this year) broadband has worked fine up until about 4 weeks ago and I can't work out what's up.

I have some smart sockets which only work on 2.4ghz so had to split the WiFi as they aren't smart enough to self select! Some of my Google Home devices will only connect to the 2.4ghz too. All this has been connected since day 1 problem free.

Now anything connected to the 2.4ghz signal can't get a connection to the internet so doesn't work. It is all set to channel 1 on the 2.4ghz and that is a really crowded range nearby so ideally I was going to try and move to 11 to see if that helped and if it was just interference. Turns out on this router you can't swap channels.

I'm at a bit of a blank and wondered if anyone else has had a similar issue and managed to find a fix?

Thanks 

Stu

11 REPLIES 11

network123
5: Helper

Vodafone removed the option to change WiFi channels. As to why they've done this is beyond any logical reason.

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

Apparently the "OLD" previous app allowed that.

vodafone-broadband.apk

The current version version does not.

OR add in an old router, adjacent to existing, and use ethernet connection and set that as your 2.4 wi-fi.

I'm still on the old version and can confirm that I can change channels. But why in the hell would they remove this option????

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi both, we've not had confirmation that this has been removed. So I'm able to check this and get it raised if needed, please can you attach photos to the thread of where you're unable to switch channels now that you were able to before? Thank you 🙂

Hi Beth,

A lot of people seem to be complaining about the update19.2.0203-3261005. I'm currently on 17.4.c.0277-2441004 and haven't been affected by this.

Scroll on this forum and there's been plenty of people which have mentioned it!

@network123 Do you already have the SSID's split on your broadband? (2.Ghz and and 5Ghz) 🙂 

Hi

Whether they are split or unified, the "helper" tells you that the opposite is better.

I have done both.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have devices that only see 2.4GHz then splitting the SSIDs for those devices is completely pointless!

Splitting SSIDs does nothing more than enable users to chose whether they connect via 2.4GHz or 5GHz, rather than have the router pick what it has determined to be the best band for a specific device.  If you want to keep things simple for the users of your network it's actually best NOT to split them!

In almost (not all) cases where users are told on these boards to split the SSIDs they are actually going to be causing themselves and those who use their network more issues not fewer!  *Sorry it's a real pet peeve of mine!

Hi,

I found this post when I was doing a search due to having issues with the 2.4ghz band

i have Vodafone ‘gigafast’ but with the 200mb package and number of smart home devices and some laptops.

Previously my SSID’s were not split and over my wifi my speeds were maxing at 60-70mb download. Very frustrating as it was no where near the speeds I was supposed to get.

some chats with Vodafone and googling later, I split my SSID’s. Smart devices on the 2.4 and laptops, tablets on the the 5 and I’m of course now getting the speeds that I should.

Although it states that the SSID’s when not split is meant to choose the right band for the device this was never happening and it was always only on 2.4.

So basically what I’m saying is, the instance of not splitting is on relative if you don’t have a fast service. If you do, you of course you want to be on the 5ghz to get those speeds up - especially when many are now working from home.

the Vodafone router is however garbage and drops devices on 2.4 continually...