Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

ASUS 3rd party router on Gigafast 2020

BellamyB
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello everyone,

looking for some advice here. I’m currently on the Gigafast 900 package and apart from never actually having seen 900 speed (not even connected directly through Ethernet to speed test, and having been put through to technical team 3 with no resolution) I am wanting to change the router as the range on the Vodafone router is absolutely shocking. 

I have purchased and successfully set up an ASUS RT-AX86U however the speeds are much slower (no idea how this is possible) compared to when I had the Vodafone router set up. The Vodafone was giving wireless speeds of about 600mbps whereas the ASUS is only giving speeds of around 300mbps. Is there anything I’m missing setting wise? I want the ASUS to handle all the work and don’t want to have the Vodafone router connected at all. 

I’ve tried changing around a few things and can’t seem to get the speed higher! 

Any help much appreciated. 

1 REPLY 1

Anonymous
Not applicable

on the speed issue, 300Mbps and 600Mbps suggest that your devices are connecting on the 2.4GHz band.

Start by manually setting the 5GHz channel on the router to a channel between 36 & 48 - if your devices now connect faster, you can try higher channel, but be aware not all devices will see all channels up there so it can be a bit of trial and error!

Regards getting rid of the VF router, you are probably double natting.  You'll need to obtain your username and password, and set the VLAN ID to 911 on the internet port using the IPTV settings, but there are plenty of threads on here about using a third party router with Vodafone Gigafast.

*Lets get the first issue sorted before moving onto the second...