main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Other broadband queries

ASUS router - Help

2: Seeker

I have just bought an ASUS router model rt-ac51 u. 

Tried to set it up just now and from what I gather, it doesn't have a DSL modem inside so am I correct in thinking this won't work until i purchase one?

Reading a few forum posts that are similar, some people recommend asking VF for their broadband username and password and setting up as PPOE. Is this to get around the modem issue or do I need the modem no matter what?

Thanks

View more options
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
16: Advanced member

If you have an Asus RT-ACxxY type router and you are on a VDSL FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) plan you will also need a modem (Avoid the Netgear DM200 it has issues!).  If you have FTTP then you can connect the router to the device that terminates the fibre connection inside your property, but the setup will be different.

Assuming FTTC, you need to set the VLAN tag in the modem to 101, allegedly you need to set the VLAN priority to 2 but this doesn't seem to be necessary (and may even cause it not to work).  In the modem you do need to set up PPoE with the username and password you obtain by calling Vodafone - get them to email you these, as otherwise, it's not uncommon to get them wrong, and they are in the FORMAT:

Username: dsl123456 'at symbol' broadband.vodafone.co.uk

Password: AbC123

My own router settings

In the above my Vigor130 modem which only has a single ethernet cable is set to 192.168.5.1, these settings allow the router to appear to the modems control interface at 192.168.5.10, while the router manages it's own network at 192.168.1.x

Also those DNS servers are a subscription service so you are better off using 8.8.4.4 and 1.0.0.1

View more options
Highlighted

Thanks @KeithAlger - very helpful

I've decided to return the ASUS router as looking at the prices of modem's it makes financial sense to purchase a router with dsl modem built in.

Would you be able to confirm if a TP Link Archer VR600 will work without the need to purchase an external modem.

If so, are the steps you outlined below still the one's i should follow to get this router set up when it arrives or are they different now I don't have a separate modem like yourself?

Thanks

View more options
Highlighted

There's a few people on here using the Archer VR600.  The info you need is the same, but as all the setup info is on the one page it's a little easier. *The VLAN 101 setting will be on the same page as your username and password.  What I would try though is to get as many of the settings into the router before you plug it into the wall, as rebooting a combo modem/router too often in a short amount of time can cause the cabinet to think there's a fault and have the DLM kick in reducing your line speed!

View more options
Highlighted

Thanks again @KeithAlger

Forgive me on this one but how do I get the router settings in without plugging it into the wall?

thanks 

View more options
Highlighted

You can plug it into the power, and either use the WPS button or an ethernet cable to put the settings in.  You can do that before you connect it to the phone socket!

View more options