main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Access Rights GDPR and Employer rights

Highlighted
2: Seeker

Hello,

So this is the situation, I work for an IT company as a loan underwriter. I work 3 days in the office and 2 days working from home.

When im in the office i connect to the companys network so all my traffic, including browsing history gets routed through their servers.

When im working from home, all of my traffic gets routed through my ISP, in this case Vodafone. I think its only when i activate the companys VPN, does all of my traffic get routed through the company's servers as I need to have it switched on to activate the banking software in order to view and process payments.

My question is does an employer have any legal rights to view my browsing history routed through my ISP if , for whatever reason they believe i am not performing my duties properly ? So this would be when im working from my work laptop but don't have the VPN switch on .

thanks

Habib.

View more options
5 REPLIES 5
17: Community Champion

@habib23425 

You would need to possibly check the terms of employment with your employer but my limited understanding is that an employer cannot ask you to provide details of your own private internet browsing history.

I can only think this could be requested by the police / justice system / courts if part of an investigation  !

Some further help here 》

Vodafone gdpr-privacy-query-form.

Vodafone.co.uk/privacy information.

I'd also suggest to take a look at your Terms and Conditions via your Vodafone Broadband Contract 》 Terms-and-conditions.

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Hi @habib23425 

All Vodafone would be able to see is you were connected to the network, Vodafone can give a breakdown of data used but won't be able to view sites you have visited or any ULR's or download source.

All your employer would be able to see is when you were connected to the work VPN and should only be concerned about the work having been completed.

View more options

If you are using company equipment to access the internet - a laptop, phone or iPad/tablet - they would certainly have the right to examine those devices and see what websites you were connecting to. But that would be through the device's own logs and history and not anything to do with Vodafone. If you use work email for private purposes that too could come under scrutiny.

No one could ask Vodafone for information except with a court order.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
2: Seeker

I'm not planning to use the web for nefarious purposes and if i was, i would not be foolish enough to do it on my work laptop. It's just that sometimes work is slow and there isn't much to do. Obviously i can't surf the net freely at work , but even as i type this, i am using my personal laptop to type this message where i can surf the net freely...thats why i'm asking...

View more options

Fair enough @habib23425 

I think you've had some great answers from fellow members on how we feel this would be.

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options