Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Advice on best replacement modem for THG3000

Kinzoid
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi - just been connected to the gigabit service from Virgin. I have read the various posts about replacing the Virgin modem/router and needed some advice...

I have a fairly complicated setup with a home office at the bottom of my garden and a basement that gets little signal usually. I currently have an ASUS RT-AC87U simply plugged into one of the LAN ports on the back of the Virgin box (which is working - but speed is down) it used to be used in conjunction with the Virgin box (in bridge mode).

The ASUS is hard wired to my office, where an Apple Airport Extreme router takes care of all the office stuff. I then have an older AirPort Extreme in the kitchen which takes care of wifi and internet radio etc in the basement.

I have just discovered an old TP-LINK Archer VR600 at the bottom of a box of old tech and wondered if this would be a decent replacement for the Vodaphone box if I ran it in modem-only mode? The other option is to look at purchasing a DrayTek Vigor 130 instead. 

So my question is - would the Draytek option be worth shelling out for or would the old TP-Link be fine to link up my current system (and could it work?)...

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Then you *should* be able to connect the Asus directly to the fibre box. I say *should* because another poster on here is having problems doing so. Asus ax88u on gigafast - won't connect - Community home (vodafone.co.uk)

You will lose the phone connection if you do so, so if you need it you will have to get a 3rd party VOIP solution.

You will also need to get your username and password from Vodafone, just call or use chat for that.

View solution in original position

10 REPLIES 10

Jayach

Your post is very confusing, you keep mentioning Virgin, I assume you mean Vodafone.

You say you are on Gigafast, but then you ask about using  Modem mode on a router or a DrayTek Vigor 130. Gigafast doesn't use a modem, it is FTTP and not VDSL.

If you could clear up those points we may be able to offer more advice.

Hi - yes, sorry.

My old system was Virgin and I'm now on Vodaphone.

I used the Virgin box in 'modem only' mode to allow my ASUS router to be the wifi provider and hub for all my connections.

Plugging the ASUS router into the Vodaphone box (my new gigabit service) gives me access to the internet and all devices are working albeit slower than I expected.

My question is whether I should consider replacing the Vodaphone router for something else - do I need a modem to replace this box?

Thanks!

Jayach

Depends if you are on Gigafast or Superfast.

It's Gigafast Broadband 900

Jayach

Then you *should* be able to connect the Asus directly to the fibre box. I say *should* because another poster on here is having problems doing so. Asus ax88u on gigafast - won't connect - Community home (vodafone.co.uk)

You will lose the phone connection if you do so, so if you need it you will have to get a 3rd party VOIP solution.

You will also need to get your username and password from Vodafone, just call or use chat for that.

Great - thanks for the help. I understand now. Will let people know if I get its connected ok!

I’ve just replaced my Vodafone modem/router with a Fritzbox 7530. It is very stable and you can add mesh access points. Easy to configure once you get your login credentials and excellent user interface. Not had a single drop out in two weeks of use.

hi looking into doing this.can i ask if you are able to use your phone at all with your existing number with the fritzbox?thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Fritzbox 7530 would appear to have all the hardware that you would need to use your VOIP/SIP service on Gigafast - but Vodafone refuse point blank to give their customers the settings to allow this!