Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Anyone else affected by Vodafone disabling demon.co.uk emails after May 2020

Adtadt
4: Newbie

Vodafone own the domain demon.co.uk which I've used for my email address since the mid 1990's...

... when they purchased the company that owned it they didn't want to continue with the domain name. For the last 5 years or so they leased the domain to names.co.uk who have taken on my emails.

Today I was advised by names.co.uk that Vodafone will no longer lease the domain to anyone or use it themselves. So during the current virus pandemic I face losing my email address from the end of May 2020. While I can change my email address I will obviously face losing access to some services, companies and friends that I miss. Further, some websites etc don't make it easy to change.

Anyone got any ideas...?

200 REPLIES 200

snoopwoody
2: Seeker

Yes I'm also new to the party. Got my email yesterday and also had mine since 1994. 

The cynic in me thinks this is Vodafone trying to push this through now before new legislation stops them and it will go under the radar in these unprecedented times. 

My wife and son also use this address it's really hassle and worry we don't need at the moment.

Reddecks
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Yes I’ve had the same email from Names.co, I’m absolutely livid!!!! This has been my main email for over 20 years and now they are going to shut it down with no solution!!!???

Vodafone need to continue to support this domain, or at least let Namesco take it over?

How on Earth did they think they could just let it drop like that? Fuming!!!!!!

Update from Adtadt:

This does seem to be progressing a bit...

The cutoff date seems to have been extended, hopefully, get past the current virus pandemic...

... though please check with Namesco - I think they and Vodafone believe this issue does not affect many folk so aren’t sending out much timely information to all users. While the numbers may well be low, hence their reticence to be more publicly vocal, it certainly seems to be more than they perhaps originally thought.

I strongly suggest that if you want to retain your demon.co.uk sub-domain that you complain to Vodafone (website, email and social media), Namesco (using the support dashboard, email or website). Also contact Trading Standards, Ofcom and your MP. Publicly it’s still Vodafone’s intent to close the domain at the end of May, as they own it and apparently no longer want to lease it to Namesco, use it themselves or allow anyone to use it.

As I’ve already mentioned in above posts, Ofcom were already ‘considering’ forcing ISP’s to allow customers to retain email address when moving ISP’s, like we do now with mobile phone numbers. Had this regulation been currently in force it could be assumed that what Vodafone is doing would be in breach of that. This is ‘the’ point I’ve raised with both companies involved and the various bodies, i.e. Vodafone should not be allowed to hold a domain and deny existing users who’ve used it for some 30 years for email addresses and websites.

Only by folk forcefully asking for their demon.co.uk sub domain to be accessible might it continue to be. This will be by pleading with Vodafone to agree to do this themselves, let Namesco continue as they want to by lease or buying it, or for another company allowed to take it over. The various bodies above might be able to encourage Vodafone to change their minds...

Had a conversation with Tom at the Vodafone Director's Office. Official line was that the sub-domain is going to be withdrawn. However there was an intimation of an active discussion now going on about the issue so the profile does seem to be going up - anyone new reading this please weigh in as suggested by Adtadt. Meanwhile just had notification that my MP's office is raising the matter with Vodaphone.

OK - just got my mail from namesco today. Rather shocked to be honest. Like plenty here, Demon was my first ISP back in 1993 and still use the email address to this day. A month is simply too short a time period in which to get 27 years of email contacts migrated to a new address.

I'm ready to help with the lobbying.

For those who have already done this though, please help me to help you. Can you post here names, URLs etc to which these letters/mails of representation/complaint need to be sent?

I just need more time. Four weeks simply isn't enough.

Thanks in anticipation.

To spodboy_uk,

A short summary of the contact info. in the above thread (not exhaustive):

Ofcom - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/how-to-report-a-complaint

Trading Standards - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/report-to-trading-standards/

The 'public' email address of Vodafone's CEO, which get answered by his Directors Support folk is available at:

telegraph.co.uk/bills-and-utilities/phone/vodafone-make-customer-services-listen-complaint

Look for the text: How to complain directly - (there's the email address and social media accounts concerned)

For your MP, look them up here:

https://members.parliament.uk/members/Commons

Selecting your MP will bring up email contact details etc.

Thank you so much for these links!  I too received the namesco email a couple of days ago - I tried to ring the 0345 653 9660 help number given but it rang and rang with no answer. Just had the thought that other demon.co.uk users might be on a mission to keep it going.

I will be writing and complaining as suggested... I do hope we can save our historic domain name...

I agree with the above sentiments that the behaviour of Vodafone at this present time, with such a short lead time is an absolute disgrace. I shall also be writing to OFCOM, my MP etc as per the links above.

However, should we be forced to change, then I am inclined to include some text to all my friends, colleagues and customers that I have worked with for the last 25 years to explain that the change is necessary due to the spectacularly inconsiderate behaviour of Vodafone.

Let us consider running an advertising campaign promoting Vodafone and customer loyalty.

hi

Me to,  have had this email for at least 25 years, lost track of all organisations that might have it, No idea if any might be important. Looks like a head ache worse than corona! I did try verifying this with vodaphone, and did have the help of a nice lady at vodaphone who appeared to go out of her way to identify who I should speak to. Unfortunately, the number she came back with was the old demon support line, which just appeared to take me straight back to the current VP support team.  There never has been a support team better than the ones at demon, even the ones in India. 

Ive no idea how much of a hassle changing email will be, but having used it for all my real life needs I suspect it isnt going to be pleasant so Im happy to try to sway VP/Names opinion. 

The Impression I get from here is that VP arent necessarily de-registering the demon domain name.??

snoopwoody

Which form you guys using on the OFCOM site?