Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Anyone else affected by Vodafone disabling demon.co.uk emails after May 2020

Adtadt
4: Newbie

Vodafone own the domain demon.co.uk which I've used for my email address since the mid 1990's...

... when they purchased the company that owned it they didn't want to continue with the domain name. For the last 5 years or so they leased the domain to names.co.uk who have taken on my emails.

Today I was advised by names.co.uk that Vodafone will no longer lease the domain to anyone or use it themselves. So during the current virus pandemic I face losing my email address from the end of May 2020. While I can change my email address I will obviously face losing access to some services, companies and friends that I miss. Further, some websites etc don't make it easy to change.

Anyone got any ideas...?

200 REPLIES 200

Still nothing. Thanks a bunch Vodafone 😠

An update, of sorts...

"... A request to Vodafone to reactivate the DNS for your Demon sub domain was sent several days ago. Usually this should take up to 72 hours to reactivate however, we are currently experiencing a longer delay than usual so I'm not able to provide an accurate ETA at present.

We are investigating this delay with Vodafone, but rest assured we will let you know once your Demon email address has been reactivated.

I hope you will accept our apologies for this unexpected delay for the reactivation of your demon sub domain. ..."

I also emailed the demon hostmaster mailbox though I can't remember offhand what the specific requirements are for promptness of responses from the official contact listed in the SOA, though that was late yesterday afternoon so it's probably a bit early to be hopping about that anyway.

Yesterday I got almost the same update to my ticket from Namesco, but saying 48hrs instead of 72hrs. Its actually been down for over a week now. Vodaphone? Vodascam more like.

Working again! Including the SPF.

The last few weeks up to closure are vital - they shouldn't have been needed but the result of the various travel/people restrictions have meant it hasn't been possible to get everywhere to change configs due to no remote access and "just talk them through it over the phone" not being a viable option.

[ and the domain servers seem to be synchronised as of late last night, hopefully there won't be any more 'accidentals' until the actual closing date ]

Update to my posted issues with changing email addresses for websites etc...

Don’t forget any annual use of you old demon email address - my example is for BT Landline Annual Saver. Even though I changed from using my Demon email to a new email address in my BT Account details, well over a month ago, I still received my annual reminder to renew my ‘discounted’ landline to my Demon email address. So this discount scheme isn’t tied to my BT account and if the renewal was one month later I would have lost the discount. So, actually losing money could be the result of Vodafone removing old email addresses...

its just to hot to think about this let alone do any of it😞😓

Yup I'm affected by this along the same lines as most of the posts here.  As 1st Sep looms I still receive mail on demon.co.uk despite best attempts to migrate...and I'm naturally concerned.  Has anyone successfully been granted extension of service beyond 1sep?  Or promised that after 1sep mail on demon.co.uk will be forwarded? Thx.

@luckythedog wrote:

Yup I'm affected by this along the same lines as most of the posts here.  As 1st Sep looms I still receive mail on demon.co.uk despite best attempts to migrate...and I'm naturally concerned.  Has anyone successfully been granted extension of service beyond 1sep?  Or promised that after 1sep mail on demon.co.uk will be forwarded? Thx.

I've asked for a further extension, I've even made it a request for a reasonable adjustment within the meaning of the disability discrimination act, as I'm legally speaking a disabled person and dealing with this is extra hard for me. Neither Vodafone nor Namesco seems to give a damn about customers or the disability discrimination act. They won't even respond to that question, awful people.

Even after they killed email for a week, still no willingness to shift the date.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't touch either firms services ever again with a 10 foot barge pole.

Namesco seem to have recently taken to claiming they contacted everyone by post as well as email. Has anyone received anything via snail mail because I haven't. Even when I wrote to them by recorded post they just replied via email, and ignored most of what I said.

Kind of feels like they might be trying to create the impression they have gone the extra mile to let people know when they haven't. I had a previous employer who would try to pull ##~## like that.

Well, Ive had my final reminder.

feels like the end of an era.  

I am very very happy with my new email address, but sad  to think I wont be getting any  more from my old one.

especially the ones that would have bought me some financial benefits. Thank you Vodafone.

Lets hope they know my snail mail address, at least I can rely on the good old postage system to redirect mail from old addresses to new addresses. :Winking_smiley: