Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Anyone else affected by Vodafone disabling demon.co.uk emails after May 2020

Adtadt
4: Newbie

Vodafone own the domain demon.co.uk which I've used for my email address since the mid 1990's...

... when they purchased the company that owned it they didn't want to continue with the domain name. For the last 5 years or so they leased the domain to names.co.uk who have taken on my emails.

Today I was advised by names.co.uk that Vodafone will no longer lease the domain to anyone or use it themselves. So during the current virus pandemic I face losing my email address from the end of May 2020. While I can change my email address I will obviously face losing access to some services, companies and friends that I miss. Further, some websites etc don't make it easy to change.

Anyone got any ideas...?

200 REPLIES 200

There's some interesting extra details from Andy in the comments on the article at TheRegister, including what seems to be a revelation that the person who registered the disabled-domain was not entirely unknown, something which I agree with the AC replies there might have been reassuring to know so we could be sure that there was no criminal or fraudulent intent.

Looks like my 1st inconvenience due to email change has hit me.

Didnt get my MOT reminder from the garage.  

Just remembered, although it is the 6th my regular garage has now closed for xmas and not reopening till 4th.

cutting it a bit fine.

Always something!!!

Why has everyone put up with what Vodafone has done?  It's lied to us about what it did and why.  It misled us.  It took our money under the misapprehension we would have a continuing service.  It breached its contractual obligations to us.   And everyone just accepts it!  Why?

Not a lot we can do, they don't care

But I've not spent any money with Vodafone since, will never do again and am also advising friends and relations not to sign up with them either.

Still annoying though

JOhn

I've vowed never to give custom to Vodafone again, and I've advised my friends and family similarly.  They let me down repeatedly and avoidably during my period of service with them.  This debacle is just another case in point: they really don't care.

Ironically, Vodafone has been advertising for posts recently in my field of expertise.  I'm not touching them with a bargepole, though.  If they're as good an employer as they are a service provider, then I'm better off out of that.

What depresses me is the absolutely gratuitous destructiveness of Vodafone, who did not want to operate the Demon.co.uk domain but refused several offers by other organisations willing to take obver the domain.

It says a lot about Vodafone's corpoarte values.

How ironic that nearly a year after we were first notified of the removal of the Demon domain by Vodafone, i have just received a SPAM private message to my community forum account (how to make thousands via crypto-currency)!

I've had this as well - hadn't made the link with this community though, since I use the same address for other things.  Thanks vodafone for letting spammers have our e-mail addresses, if that's what has happened. 

Hi Prestel_Person,

The dates in whois.net probably explain why Vodafone wanted to turn of Demon.co.uk earlier, before they agreed to extent the deadline. Domain names have to be renewed, hence Vodafone had to renew for another year.

The domain still belongs to them and, while I protested to nominet uk that Vodafone intended to not use it or allow anyone to lease it, nothing to my knowledge was done to force them to use it or lose it. Several sources say that you can’t sit on a domain and not use it. I understand nominet uk are the uk regulators for co.uk domains, hence i and others did complain, also to Ofcom etc...

It’s possible that Vodafone have been ‘challenged’ over their decision but more likely the systems that control the domain have not been turned off just yet...

I did hear that when BT tried to deny users from their old BT email addresses when they left BT this was prevented, possible by Ofcom, and folk have been able to receive if not send new emails for some years... 

As I understand it, Vodafone still own the domain and don’t want anyone to use it - unless some regulatory body prevents this they could keep renewing the domain and not use it - it doesn’t cost much to retain the domain. Only if they don’t renew it could someone else pick it up...

I guess we just wait and see - though as I stopped paying Namesco for email, and Microsoft for Mail licence I’d be surprised if I can still access soon...

Interesting times...

eng_777
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I only got the email today, 22nd April 2020 and was absolutely livid. I've had my Demon address since 1992 and, as has been remarked, when we were transferred to Namesco there was no mention of this being a temporary arrangement. I don't know how much good it will do but following adtadt's lead I've written to Trading Standards, Ofcom, Vodafone and my MP.