main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Anyone happy with Vodafone fibre broadband?

4: Newbie

You shouldn't need anything partciularly expensive or complex to do the job, unless you have industrial requirements. Any mid-priced fibre compatible router with a built-in modem from around £50 should be suitable. I hear a lot of recommendations for Draytek and no doubt they are excellent, but they are far from cheap.

At the moment I'm using an Asus DSL-AC56U, which has an odd bug with 5GHz not transmitting after a few hours, even with a full wifi signal, but I suspect this is firmware issue or perhaps a conflict with Bluetooth. I've had cheaper routers with a few less features that have worked perfectly well across various broadband providers. With a bit of luck it will be OK when I switch to Vodafone tomorrow. 

View more options
13: Advanced Member

@okecokeywrote:

Interesting about the wifi, is there somewhere this is discussed / any parameters for heavy use, I'm still using the VF box Huawei 963168_HUAWEIVOX25. I have the much discussed FEC issue & the occassional slow speed which I put down to peak times usage but wonder if this may actually be signs ofthe wifi issue.

See

View more options

@macshare that's a very informative forum post in the link. For my part I can only think of one laptop and a couple smartphones that are limited to 2.4GHz so perhaps it would never be an issue for us with the Vodafone router. 

View more options

@Sgt_Bilko  I would think you are right. Certainly no harm in trying.

It surprises me that Vodafone don't get the problem solved as I would expect it to have a bad impact on their reputation at a time when they are trying to build up market share.

View more options
5: Helper

@machare Thanks for the link, interesting but again there doesn't seem to be any evidence, I'm also of your opinion that VF should be getting the problems fixed and I'll certainly be contacting them if I don't see a statement that they are investigating the multiole reports about their router, can you confirm the actual model of VF router you were sent please.

View more options

@macshare That's the part I don't understand either and made me wonder if the loudest complaints were mainly coming from a group of users with many 2.4GHz devices. I'm not for one moment critizing those who have been affected, but it does help if we understand the root causes. 

I think we all know that ISP supplied routers are not best in class, but it's not in their interests to save a few quid per unit on a cheap componenets if it then generates complaints and support requests from 90% of users. 

View more options

Just a thought, but I wonder if this is essentially a firmware issue with the Vodafone router. Once upon a time I had a BT HomeHub router that worked well, while the forums were filled with complaints. At a certain point BT upgraded my firmware and it suddenly became an unreliable piece of junk. 

When I worked out the firmware version was the problem and beyong my control I ended up fishing out an ancient Open Reach router and buying a TP-Link router for about £15 that worked fine. 

View more options
Highlighted

Im all good and happy with Vodafone fibre 38mb

View more options

I've only been online for a day with Vodafone, but so far it seems fine. It was enabled overnight but running dog slow initially using my old router, so I tried the Vodafone router and then it stopped totally. 

A quick call to support revealed the router had not yet been provisioned for this line, so I was asked to reset the router and something was then done at their end. Ten minutes later it all kicked in and speeds have been solid with no slowdown at peak hours last night, consistently hitting 70+mbps on wifi.

I know there have been a lot of complaints about the router and I was wary about using it, but I've had no droppped connections and it doesn't look like a lot of resources are being used with half a dozen devices connected. I've left it on the default dual 2.4/5GHz band setting so it auto selects, depending on the device and signal strength. 

Obviously 24 hours is not long enough to provide an informed opinion of overall reliability, however the transfer was handled smoothly in stark contrast with my previous ISP, who left me troubleshooting horrendous speeds for the first month, until I posted on ThinkBroadband, which pushed them find the cause and eventually admit it wasn't at my end. 

View more options
2: Seeker

@jeffkinnwrote:

A forum like this will only show you comments from disgruntled customers. Perhaps stories like these help to provide some balance

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/02/01/vodafone-uk-sales-slow-despite-broadband-boost/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/01/31/talktalk-plunges-cash-fears-vodafone-attacks-broadban...

Those are ridiculous examples! Corporate releases in the business pages... That's akin to the suits in the Pentagon releasing statements about 'no major issues in areas of conflict' when the boots on the ground are the ones who know the real sh*t they're in.

View more options

@macharewrote:

I am happy with the 38Mbps service using a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A router  which I bought 2nd hand on ebay. The Vodafone router should be avoided because of the poor wifi.

Interesting to know, as my Vodafone Wi-Fi is appauling (but I do use the router they sent me).

View more options

We switched 19/02/18 with a minimum download speed of 52Mbps guaranteed. We didn't exceed 30mbps at any point during the month-long 'settling in' and quite often it cut out altogether.

Three weeks ago an engineer found a fault on the line and fixed it with the warning it may still fluctuate for the next week or ten days. But yay, we had 50mbps... for a few days.

Then it dropped back down to 30mbps, where it has stayed and also keeps cutting out.

I'm only using one computer 99% of the time and have it connected via Ethernet. The wi-fi is appalling!

So in accordance to those rotten adverts starring the Hobbit, we are NOT getting our minimum guaranteed speed nor are we being refunded for it.

ALTHOUGH WE WERE CHARGED £85 FOR BEING SENT A SIM CARD BEFORE WE WENT LIVE, THAT WE NEVER EVEN OPENED YET ALONE USED - £85 FOR ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

And now twenty-odd quid a month for something that doesn't work properly.

View more options

@Mark-E-Bear

So what speed does your router say that it is connected at?  If the router keeps loosing its connection and resyncs it is possible that either the router or the line is faulty.  If you have a different VDSL2 router you might want to consider using it.

View more options

"So what speed does your router say that it is connected at?"

I am not tech-savvy at all - I don't know what you mean by this.

View more options
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, based on high latency at peak times. 

It's okay if you don't play online games or run VOIP

View more options

Nope has been the worst mistake i#ve made in a long time.

Joined in September and had nothing but issues since december.

Speed has hovered around the 16mbps to 20mbps even though my minimum guaranteed speed is 27mbs..When i was with Bt i was getting constant connections of 42mbps...Tech 2 close issues without talking to you.  Get told by Support a Bt Engineer is coming on site...No Engineer and when you contact vodafone you're told no engineer was booked...and only tech 2 can book Engineer.  Constantly being charged full price for a service that is so under par its criminal.  Spending hours either on the phone or online trying to sort out issues....Vodafone have done something to my line last night after numerous complaints and i'm now being shown a sync speed of 30mbps...Yet using speedtest i'm averaging 22mbps....Am waiting on tech 2 calling again and if its not sorted i'm going back to BT, as my neighbour still gets 42mbps...

View more options

I'm sorry to hear you're not getting the speeds you should be @Marc-E-Bear and @Mutt13y, I know how important a good broadband connection is.

So we can forward your query to our Broadband team for further investigation, I've popped you both a private message over with details on how to get in touch with us directly. 

View more options

Thanks TJ, but even with Tech 2 opening my fibre last night i'm still not getting my minimum guaranteed speed.  Instead of aiming for the lowest speed you can get away with for the service, why not try to exceed the customers guaranteed speed.  There is no way that this should have taken 4 months to get some result, and even then still below the guaranteed speed.  I'm not a new customer who you can get above 25mbps and resolve the issue. My guaranteed speed was 28mbps...

Bt i was on 42mbps no issues...BTs minimum guaranteed speed was 28mbps....

BT Engineer even said it was what you were sending from your end that was the issue...as he synced with the cabinet at 42mbps

View more options
1: Seeker

yeah i thought it was a good broadband as the price is very good but this is for sure not fibre optic as they said it is and i do NOT recommend switching to this at all, i may be wrong and it may just be me but i think talk talk 12mbps was even better than this 74mbps vodafone broadband.

View more options
3: Seeker

Very happy with my 76mbps, of course I don't get that, more like 55mbps. Just days from the end of my 18 month contract so will probably continue with Vodafone

View more options