Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Apple device keep disconnecting from wifi

CHLOEYAP
4: Newbie

Does anyone have any problem connecting their Apple devices to the Vodafone broadband? All my Apple devices keep discounting crazily to a point a can’t stay on for more than 2 minutes! I tried connecting using me Samsung tablet and it seems to work fine!? Any idea how to solve this? I am using iPhone6s plus and an iPad and none of them manage to stay on the wifi. I contacted Vodafone customer service they check everything and even changed my router but it make no difference. Any suggestion or help will be appreciated.

48 REPLIES 48

gipjon
16: Advanced member

standed router wifi or a third party wifi like google wifi etc . is there any thing in your router logs 

I am using the Vodafone wifi. I did try to use my own but realise there is no dsl port so I’m using it as a range extender. So to cut the story short, both the Vodafone router and my own wifi signal drop like crazy. I didn’t check the log...what should I be checking

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member

@CHLOEYAP wrote:

I am using the Vodafone wifi. I did try to use my own but realise there is no dsl port so I’m using it as a range extender. So to cut the story short, both the Vodafone router and my own wifi signal drop like crazy. I didn’t check the log...what should I be checking

If the primary wifi device (your VF router) drops out then no matter how many range extenders you have, the wifi connections will be lost.

You don't need a DSL port on your third party router... As a stop gap measure, leave your VF modem router dsl connected as intended. This router will be 'in charge' of your network.

VF Router

1.     Disable its wifi.  I think you can do this from the VF app but if not - via 192.188.1.1/settings

Third party router

1. Connect your second router to your computer with a patch cable and go into its settings
  2. Change its IP address to 192.168.1.2 and disable DHCP. 
  3. Connect second router to VF router using a patch cable between (yellow) LAN ports.  You can disconnect your computer and go wifi now or if wired is preferred, connect it to the VF router again.

Set up your WiFi devices to connect to the 'new' wifi network.  The VF router will see your wifi devices as wired and allocate IP addresses to them as normal.  Not an ideal solution by any means but it is a solution and it works.  The VF router appears to be totally unfazed by wired devices.

I think I tried this before. Disabling my wifi on VF router, connected my own router using the WAN and use it wifi instead. I think it still drop but  I don’t remember changing the IP address so shall give it a go as well! Thanks for your advice

HappyNomad

@CHLOEYAP wrote:

I think I tried this before. Disabling my wifi on VF router, connected my own router using the WAN and use it wifi instead. I think it still drop but  I don’t remember changing the IP address so shall give it a go as well! Thanks for your advice

Connect routers using LAN ports rather than WAN.  (This it seems, avoids any double NAT) issue.

The two routers can't have the same IP address as each other.  The VF router is 192.168.1.1 by default so the second router needs to be set to a different address within the VF router's Address Pool.  My VF router address pool is 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.200 so I simply gave the second router the first address from that pool.  

Ensure DCHP is enabled on the VF router and disabled on router two.  You can't have two routers handing out IP addresses on your network.

I just tried and the connection still drop like crazy. How to I get back onto the setting for my third party router? It now saying I’m not in the network to gain access.

HappyNomad
@CHLOEYAP wrote:

I just tried and the connection still drop like crazy. How to I get back onto the setting for my third party router? It now saying I’m not in the network to gain access.

connect your laptop with a patch cable to your third party router... open a browser and type in the IP Address you assigned to your third party router.  Undo whatever changes you made, IP address / re-enable dhcp server etc.  Failing that, hit the factory reset button on the third party router.

It seems unlikely that you have two routers with dodgy wifi -  that suggests that the VF  router is still wifi enabled and your wifi devices are still connecting to the VF SSID or that the second router is set up simply as a wifi extender for the VF router rather than a wifi access point with an SSID of its own.  If you can still see a VF SSID in your iPad wifi settings then it is set up wrong for what you are trying to achieve.   It took me two or three goes to get it working properly but work it does and router rage is no more.

This is what I see on my iPad.... I am using a wifi enabled EE router (connected to the wifi disabled VF router) at the southern ground floor end of the house and a BT dual band extender upstairs to reach the bedroom Smart TV and an Alexa device at the extreme opposite end of the house.  

IMG_0730.PNG

Thanks for all your help. I switched my VF wifi off so I can’t see the anymore. My fire tv shows the connection keep dropping but I haven’t had any “page cannot be display” since the which usually happen every 2 mins. I shall keep my eye on it 

gipjon

You know in your vodaphone router logs did/does it show anything like disable and then re-enable wifi