Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Apple device keep disconnecting from wifi

CHLOEYAP
4: Newbie

Does anyone have any problem connecting their Apple devices to the Vodafone broadband? All my Apple devices keep discounting crazily to a point a can’t stay on for more than 2 minutes! I tried connecting using me Samsung tablet and it seems to work fine!? Any idea how to solve this? I am using iPhone6s plus and an iPad and none of them manage to stay on the wifi. I contacted Vodafone customer service they check everything and even changed my router but it make no difference. Any suggestion or help will be appreciated.

48 REPLIES 48

Sorry this seems to be a dump question but where do I find the log?

I found the log and there are loads of records of connected and discounted logs for my phone which shows the connection drop like mad! There is no enable or disable though.

Here is a copy of the log for this morning. I’m now connected the third party router to VF using LAN and the log shows drop like every min

@CHLOEYAP Hey there, it's really strange that its dropping out over multiple devices. We'd have to have a look at exactly what your connection is doing on a network level and not just a local level. I've sent you a private message on how to get in contact with us and one of the team will be back in touch as soon as we can. Joe

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Joe In these forums, having devices regularly disconnect from the VF router is a COMMON issue for those with Apple and certain Amazon Fire devices.

@CHLOEYAP An oddity in the logs that some have published regards Apple devices, is that the DHCP issued IPs are all very low and usually sequential.  Are you seeing this in your logs too?  I only ask, because it's quite unusual, generally the IP allocation looks a little random (it's not completely random but it's complex and gets to look that way over time).

@Anonymous I fully understand this issue, as it doesn't just affect Vodafone. the Amazon Firestick and Fire TV are notorious for having issues trying to locate the 5GHz Wi-Fi band worldwide. The reason I asked @CHLOEYAP in to private was, so we can look see what information has been stored on the router and how the  IP allocation on the local Wi-Fi network is set up. Joe

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a quick idea here.

On what ever router you are using go into the 5GHz settings, and change the channel from AUTO to CH36.

*The downside on this, is that if it works your router may be impacted by interference from other WiFi networks in the neighbourhood, but there is a chance that it will at least work.  If it does work I'll explain why later!

Trust me I tried everything in the settings and nothing work! I have brought a new modem/router so will try to sort it out over the weekend! I was with VM and never have any connection problem like this! It looks like Vodafone doesn’t like Apple or amazon.....I have spent over £100 on third party router and modem so far it’s outrageous 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Humour me!  If it works, you'll probably want to roll up the duvet and give it a thumping!

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

@Anonymous wrote:

Humour me!  If it works, you'll probably want to roll up the duvet and give it a thumping!

I changed mine to channel 36 but...  I decided to switch everything off on the VF modem router such that my EE router handled dhcp, wired, wireless, the lot.  it all seemed to be going great with no events whatsoever on the VF box... and then the exchange fell over.  Nothing inbound, no internet and no incoming phone calls although dialling out worked.

Spoke with VF who said that it was primarily an exchange fault on the copper network between the exchange and the cabinet and whilst the FTTC was fine the copper fault had impacted on the cabinet to the premises copper wires.

I had to move my router from the filtered extension (which has had a router connected happily for the last three years) to the test socket with a filter - internet works again but no incoming phone line.  Hey ho,  thought i was making progress today.

@CHLOEYAP 

I believe the Apple thing is specifically a product of iOS12.x.  My two iPhones are both iOS12.x and are both connecting/disconnecting faster than flashing fairy lights while my iPads, both iOS10.x are fine.