Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Asus RT-AX55 Wi-Fi 6 unable to set it up through vodafone wifi hub THG3000

gbakas
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Just bought a WIFI 6 router from asus to test my devices , my PC is got Wifi 6 and my Samsung phone also .

i cant establish connection to the asus router , I tried several times using PPPoe setting and my current username and password of the current broadband connection with vodafone ,   any suggestion ?

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

The THG3000 is a modem router and so will already be handling the PPPoE connection - so using that setting on the RT-AX55 is unnecessary!

So to test the connection (it'll be double NAT-ed) all you should need to do is plug the WAN cable from the AX55 into a LAN cable on the THG3000, and then on the AX55 menus > WAN > Internet Connection > WAN connection type:  Automatic IP    *In the LAN settings it may be a good idea to change the local IP range so its different to that of the THG3000.

Moving forward, if it's just the WiFi you want from the AX55, you could just use it as an access point...

If at some point you do decide to use the AX55 with a modem, there are regulars on here who can help you set it up!

Thanks fro the rapid response , yes I tried initially automatic ip, as I was thinking exactly the same as you said , but for some reason the asus wifi 6 cannot establish connection , here is a screenshot of the wanUntitled.jpg

the current fault at the network map os the asus is Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly 

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

The DHCP, as far as the Asus is concerned, is the one in the Vodafone router.

Try doing a factory reset on the Vodafone router and perhaps try a different cable (making sure it is a least Cat 5e)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, we can't see the image yet, but it sounds like an odd Asus issue that has cropped up elsewhere.

So you might want to try the "Static IP" option instead and then set the WAN IP to an address within the range managed by the THG3000, subnet 255.255.255.0, and gateway to the THG3000 ip address.

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

@gbakas wrote:

Just bought a WIFI 6 router from asus to test my devices , my PC is got Wifi 6 and my Samsung phone also .

i cant establish connection to the asus router , I tried several times using PPPoe setting and my current username and password of the current broadband connection with vodafone ,   any suggestion ?

Your Vodafone hub has no modem only, router only or bridge modes.  It is still a router and as such, it is handling the PPPoE side of things.  Your new router is simply another device on your LAN as far as the hub is concerned.

There are a number of ISP router with third party router set-up posts in the forum but essentially,

• connect new router LAN port to VF hub LAN port with a cable,
  • turn off the VF Hub WiFi - the new router will handle that.  Set the new router’s SSID(s) and WiFi password to whatever you had set in the hub.

No doubt somebody who uses their own router with their VF hub will be along in due course and will be better informed re setting up and successfully operating a router/router set up.

Edited to added… beaten to by Keith Alger 👍