Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Asus Rapture GT-AC5300 and Vodafone THG3000

Mike2022
2: Seeker

I have just moved across to Vodafone Ultrafast 500 Fibre and have an existing ASUS Rapture GT-AC5300.

From reading various posts it is not possible to set the Vodafone THG3000 hub to router only. I have requested the email address and password for the hub.

Some help with setting up the router would be much appreciated. I've read somewhere that I connect the LAN cable direct from the ONT direct to the router bypassing the Vodafone hub?

I've also been told I will not be able to use my home phone number that I transferred across from Virgin Media. Is there a work around?

Thanks in advance

15 REPLIES 15

Mike2022

This is what I did to get the Asus Rapture GT-AC5300 to connect:

• Firstly obtain your Vodafone THG3000 Router Username and Password from Vodafone (08080 034515). Expect a 45 minute wait and after some resistance being passed to the people who can remotely connect to your router to establish the username and password. The Vodafone THG3000 Router must be connected to the ONT via the WLAN cable for them to remote access. To avoid potential errors get them to text the username and password to you. The username will be in the form of dsl********@broadband.vodafone.co.uk
  • Connect the WLAN cable from the ONT into the WAN (internet port) on the Asus Rapture GT-AC5300.
  • Using PC / Laptop etc connect to the Asus Rapture GT-AC5300 router using whatever you router Username and password is.
  • On the left hand pane within the advance sttings select "WAN". (pic 1)
  • On the right hand pane select the drop down to the right of "WAN Connection Type" (under Basic Config) and change the setting to "PPPoE" (pic 1)
  • Two thirds down on the right hand pane under Account Settings input the Username and Password as supplied by Vodafone. (pic1)
  • Scroll to the bottom of the right hand pane and click "Apply".
  • Then on the LEFT hand pane select "LAN" (pic 2)
  • When the screen updates on the right hand pane at the top select the tab "IPTV" (pic 2)
  • Under "Select ISP Profile" select the drop down arrow and scroll to the bottom of the choices to select "Manual Setting" (pic 2)
  • On the "Internet" (which appears below "Select ISP Profile") enter "911" in the "VID" box (pic 2)
  • Click "Apply" (pic 2)
  • The Router will take a couple of minutes to save and reconnect.
  • If you click the "Dashboard" tab on teh LEFT hand pane you'll see if the router is now connected to the internet.
  • NOTE: Reading various posts the code for "VID" Under "LPTV" seems to vary. "911" works for me. Other posts have suggested "101". This didn't work for me.
  • Hope this helps those less tech minded

pic 1.pngpic 2.png

Great to see you got it working :Smiling:

What speeds are you getting Down/Up?

Does (CityFiber) offer IPv6?
Did it work when you used the THG3000?
What are you going to do about the landline/home phone?

Download speed: 493:51

Upload speed: 493:58

I pay for the 500 package. 
On the phone line side. I can connect the Asus router to the THG3000 via a LAN cable out of the one of the 8 ports on the Asus Router into the “WAN” port of the THG3000. 

I’ve tried connecting a cable from the Tel 1 port on the THG30000 directly into the phone. Whilst I can get a dialling tone, there’s an intermittent signal which I guess is the broadband interfering. Perhaps I need a filter? 

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Mike2022 wrote:

On the phone line side. I can connect the Asus router to the THG3000 via a LAN cable out of the one of the 8 ports on the Asus Router into the “WAN” port of the THG3000. 

I’ve tried connecting a cable from the Tel 1 port on the THG30000 directly into the phone. Whilst I can get a dialling tone, there’s an intermittent signal which I guess is the broadband interfering. Perhaps I need a filter? 

Thanks for that info, I've been wondering if it would work. If you do get it working successfully do let us know.😀

@Mike2022

It would not be a signal, it's digital.
I take it VF is using IMS (IP Multimedia System) technology same as BT,

which is used in VoFi-Wi/VoLTE on smart phones.

So I guess could be NAT problem?

Can you turn on firewall (make sure it's on) on the THG3000 and on the Asus assign static IP to the THG3000
and set the THG3000/IP address in DMZ zone (so basically the THG3000 will not be blocked by the Asus firewall/NAT)?

Then reboot the THG3000 so it can re-connect :Smiling:
And you may be able to see some interesting data in the log on the Asus :Winking_smiley:

Wow so interesting to see symmetric 500 Mbps on CityFibre network .... I thought that FTTP GPON is always asymmetric speed .......

Jayach

@THG3000-IPv6

Cityfibre speeds are always the same up and down, Openreach are always slower up than down.

Good idea of putting the THG3000 in the Asus's DMZ, that may well work. Lets hope @Mike2022  lets us know if he tries it.