Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Asus ax88u on gigafast - won't connect

RapidBadger
2: Seeker

Hello,

I'm trying to get my new Asus ax88u working on gigafast (west midlands). I've serach through all the threads about setting up your own router and there only seems like a few settings that I actually need to change.
But not matter what I try I can't get it to connect. I'm hoping someone here can spot what I've done wrong.

Things done|tried:
Got my username and password via chat (twice, both matched)
cut and pasted those settings to the router
change the connection type to PPPoE
set the vlan to 911 priority 0, under the lan\iptv settings
set the routers ip from 168.192.50.1 to 168.192.1.1 (to match vf router)
tried different cables
waited 5 mins for connection
tried original formware
tried latest merlin firmware
tried latest Asus firmware (only a few days old)
reset after every firmware update

What am I missing? The internet light stays red and the status page reports "wan disconnected". I've got a white openreach fibre box (ONT?). Plugging the cable back in the to vf router, it connects back in about 20 seconds.

Has anyone managed to connect using one of these routers?

thanks for any suggestions

8 REPLIES 8

RapidBadger

Here is a portion of the log, if that's of any use.  Looks to be the part where PPPoE is trying to connect...

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Forgive me if I'm talking garbage, but shouldn't the WAN connection type be Automatic IP, if you are on Gigafast?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well spotted!  The joining mDNS records should be showing 192.168.1.1 (ish) or 127.0.0.1 ie local connections.  So I guess the question is:  Are you connecting the router directly to the ONT/GPON (correct) or to the Vodafone router.

I'm connecting directly to the ONT\Fibre box and not via the vf router.  It's just using a standard network cable direct to the WAN port, exactly like the vf router does.  I believe this is how FTTP connections should work?  If I change the WAN type to automatic IP, then there are no spaces to fill in my username and password.

The other threads I've read suggest that I won't need the vf router at all.  I've seen people be able to use the ac86U in this way.

So I tried changing to automatic ip.  If I change the authentication method I ge to put a username and password in.

I get a different result.  sometimes the staus page says "username or password incorrect".  So I tried changing and "l" to a "1" and that changed the message.  The I got "your isps dhcp is not working correctly".  so then I put my password back to the original one, but I didn't get the "password incorrect" message and just the "dhcp" one.  So it seems a bit random.  I've posted a pic of my new wan settings.
Can anyone share their setting of connecting directly to the ONT on gigafast?

thanks

Jayach

Have you tried QIS (Quick Internet Setup with auto detection)? See section 2.2. of attached PDF.

Edit: The l is a lower case L, not a 1. (as in DSL)

Huzzah!  Things are fixed.  It tuns out that if you are connecting via Openreach, you don't need to do the vlan thing at all.

So, just for everyone that follows, if you are connecting via a white Opeanreach ONT then these are

the steps you need:

Plug lan cable from ONT to wan port

set connection type to PPPoE

set your username (dsl<numbers>@broadband.vodafone.couk)

set your password

I did not set anything else and it connected pretty much straight away.  This was posted in the thinkbroadband vodafone forum.  Hopefully it will help some others.
Thanks to people for their suggestions :Smiling:

Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess this kinda makes sense, it'll probably be as a result of the difference between using an ONT compared to a PON.