Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Best time to reboot router?

Lepus
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello there,

I have the Fibre Broadband Superfast 2 package, and I'm wondering if there is considered a "best time of day" to reboot your router? I switched to Vodafone in late March and whilst the service has been very stable, the sync speed keeps dropping below the guaranteed minimum (55mbps), despite Openreach saying the line is good for 70mbps.

The latest drop below the minimum guaranteed has lasted a week already, and I've noticed it never varies while you stay connected, only when you reboot the router. So unless I reboot, I don't see how I'll ever get a speed back above the supposed minimum.

I have also read across various sites that your ISP can interpret reboots as a fault, and therefore drop the speed of your line still further. Obviously I'm keen to avoid that. So I was wondering if anyone had advice on when best to reboot, without causing a further issue, in order to catch a better sync speed again?

Thanks,

PG 

1 REPLY 1

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Lepus, there isn't a specific time of the day that's "best" however, here are a few tips in regards to speeds.

If it's a Wi-Fi speed, you may need to split your Wi-Fi into two separate frequencies. This is particularly useful if you use a variety of devices as the 5Ghz provides a much stronger connection over shorter distances, so is better for consoles, smart TVs and PC's. Whereas the 2.4Ghz is a slightly lower connection but reaches further so is great for mobile phones, tablets and small electronic devices that connect to the internet.

To separate your frequencies, please follow these instructions:

1. Download the Vodafone Broadband App 
  2. Start the app and follow the prompts to pair the app with the router. 
  3. Select 'My Wi-Fi' 
  4. Tap the slider next to Split SSID
  5. Done

Once you've done this, just follow these next steps to change your Wi-Fi channels:

1. Tap on the 'My Wi-Fi' option, then scroll down and tap on the 'Wi-Fi Channels' option. 
  2. The next page will show you the two frequencies the Wi-Fi is broadcast on; 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. 
  3. Select 2.4 GHz, and the app will display a list of 13 channels, change the selected channel to one that has no numbers next to it on the left hand side. 
  4. Monitor the performance for 24 hours and change the channels again if the performance is the same or worse.

Could you please also ensure the three steps below are followed:

1. Please make sure the router is in the most central location possible within the home and isn't behind or inside any furniture that can block the signal from it.
  2. Please ensure there are no baby monitors, radios, microwaves or other routers nearby as this will disrupt your signal.
  3. Ensure the router is away from any reflective surfaces such as mirrors, polished metal or fish tanks as this will bounce the signal back to your router and stop it reaching your devices.

If you're still having issues, please click here to speak to an agent via social media and they can troubleshoot your router with you, let us know how you get on 😊