Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Blocking internet to specific device on router

passat52
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Just migrated from plusnet, used to use a bt hh6, on that I could block access for the kids xbox and mobiles from 10pm to 6am quite easily. Cannot seem to find anything on the vodafone router to do this.

I don't want to turn the WiFi off, other devices need to connect. And some devices are hard wired not only on WiFi.

Is this a secret option somewhere, or will it be implemented in a firmware update anytime soon?

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hello @passat52 

I personally do not use Vodafone Home Broadband but there was / is a setting called Family Time which is discussed in Configure-Vodafone-Router-To-Prevent-My-Children-Accessing-WiFi. And mentions the Vodafone Broadband App.

Perhaps take a look in the above thread for this feature.

🌈 Stay Safe & Stay Alert.  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Unfortunately, as stated, this option "Family Time" shuts the whole WiFi down. Not very practical with all the smart tech in our home.

As far as I can tell, from limited time last night, this only kills the WiFi, and not hard wired devices, such as games consoles and TV sets.

Vodafone marketing of being able to disable at scheduled times is very misleading, the router on the whole seems fine, BUT the option to select specific devices on the home network to be isolated is a severe flaw. 

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @passat52, a work-around for this would be to set up a Guest WiFi on your Broadband app, connect the kids devices to it and you can set a timer on that WiFi 👍  Let us know how you get on!

Unfortunately that would not work, as most of the devices are hard wired through a network switch. This really shouldn't be a issue in 2020, its a fairly simple firmware option?.

Hatchett1951
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Which router do you have?

I had an HUAWEI HHG2500 with my broadband account which suffered from many problems. Generally this router was not fit for purpose.

Examples:

1/ Had to disable the 5G network to enable LAN and WIFI devices to communicate.

2/ Unable to disable remote access and configuration (this is an HUAWEI ??? product).

3/ They would no let me use another router.

I left after 2 years of customer hell and they have yet to stop invoicing me for and account that was closed in March 2020.