main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Broadband Fault Help Please. Low Upload Speed.

Highlighted
2: Seeker

Hello. I have Vodafone Superfast 1 and having various problems. I'm connected via ethernet and on my test socket. For only 10 minutes or so of connection look at all of the Upload FEC Corrections. See screen shots below. Is 7300 corrections normal after this short amount of time? The upload rate is also only 523Kbps and so its very easy to saturate the line meaning the broadband isn't usable. I'm also getting lots of time outs and DNS errors when trying to visit web pages. Being of some technical know how I have also tried two other routers which all sync and similar speeds and exhibit the same issues. Can someone help please!? 

fec cor.PNGtime.PNG

View more options
8 REPLIES 8

Can anyone please help. Just had an hour chat with customer services who said there is nothing they can do as upload speed is not in the contract. However my internet is broken and not usable with all the errors happening. 

View more options
13: Advanced Member

From what you say it appears that you have contention on the backhaul link from the exchange.  You best option is to leave which you can do without penalty in the first 30 days.

View more options

I have been arguing with VF for a whole week, as apparently an upload speed of 0.4mb (same as yours) is acceptable, and there is no fault on the line, as my download says its connected at 40mb.

However I am seeing a lot higher error rates than yours (think 60,000,000) FEC. The upload is so choked, that it causes the download speed to be a humble 11mb. 

Have had to prove that I am seeing poor download speeds.

Another useful site, where you can see what your line should be achieving, is using bt wholesale dsl address check. You type in your landline, and it will give you the stats of upload and download, as well as the speed you should achieve for which if not, you can walk away from Vodafone FOC.

KR

Warejon

View more options
15: Advanced member

If this is a critical issue for you, then you'd probably have to go into dispute with Vodafone over this.

The wording in some of out contracts are lets say a little suspect (poor old Vodafone, they really ought to hire a proof reader!).  You can't really offer a minimum speed in a contract and then say that it's not guaranteed - it's a provision of the contract between you and Vodafone.  If Vodafone cannot meet a provision of your contract then if it goes to mediation it's unlikely that Vodafone would win such an argument!

*The same goes for any of us with contracts that have a minimum and a guaranteed minimum.  If the "minimum" is a contractual provision and is greater than the "guaranteed minimum", then the latter would in a dispute normally be a redundant provision!

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @carl81, we'd certainly like to take a look at this. 

Your upstream really should be stable, and a possibly a bit higher than it is.

What's your setup like?

Is the router connected to the main BT master socket?

Are you connecting it via a telephone extension cable?

Also, what's connected to the router?

Blair

View more options

Hi, 

I have tried the master test socket with a variety of filters and even different routers and modem cables. All with the same results and sync rate. 

Like most modern households I do have many devices connected but of course have tried switching the WiFi off and connecting with a single Ethernet laptop. Whilst a download rate of 22 meg or so may seem not too bad because of the low upload it can only manage a throughput or around 17 meg download on a speed test. Things like FaceTime and Sykpe pretty near impossible due to the upload. 

Thanks. 

View more options

@blair and absolutely no extensions at all! We only use the line for broadband. 

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @carl81, we'd like to look into this further for you.

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

View more options