Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband app reports WiFi signal is weak

gingerjust
3: Seeker

Hi,

When I open the broadband app on my mobile it constantly says 'Good morning, your WiFi signal is weak...' This happens regardless of where I am in relation to the router. When I look under wifi devices in the app and it shows the list of connected devices it always shows my phone as having one bar and low performance, again regardless of proximity to the router. 

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app when I'm close to the router. I have also tried splitting the WiFi signal, using both 2.4 and 5 GHz channels,  and changing between manual and auto band selection. My phone reports excellent signal and gets good speed test results. The same thing is happening with my son's mobile, however I have an old Nexus tablet which shows as full performance wherever it is in the house! Guessing there must be something within the newer device protocols? Wondering if anyone has had similar or can help. 

Thanks. 🙂

Screenshot_20190831-093025.jpg

Screenshot_20190831-093332.jpg

13 REPLIES 13

Robstokie
2: Seeker

I’ve just switched to the newer, more ugly,🙂 router as part of an upgrade and I get exactly the issue you describe,on the previous router it reported all devices having a strong signal, let me know if you ever find out why and I’ll do the same

Adam
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @gingerjust, have you gone into the app in your settings and cleared the cache through the storage? This may help refresh the app interface and give you a real time update, rather than the same one all the time. 

Thanks Adam. Gave that a try but no change I'm afraid. 😕

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@gingerjust Oh no! Sorry this hasn't helped with refresh your broadband app, I know just how important it is to have the accurate information reflecting on the app for you to monitor your usage and services. Have you made sure you're using the latest version of the broadband app? You can check this in your app store.

I'm also seeing the "Your Wi-Fi signal is weak" message and the app shows all my devices with one signal bar out of three, even when they're right next to the router. It's as if the mechanism that calculates or reports signal strength is not just inaccurate but actually broken.

I have the latest version of the app, a new THG3000g installed two days ago, and separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz, with a mixture of devices connected to each frequency.

Thanks for the reply. Latest version is installed. 

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for your replies @gingerjust and @chazzo - sorry about the delay getting back to you, we're a little busier than usual at the moment. 

We appreciate you raising this to us; I've passed your feedback along to our Tech team, as this could be something fixed in the next router patch. We appreciate your patience in the meantime and apologise for inconvenience this is causing. 

Dave02

I have exactly the same problem. Tried reinstalling the app, resetting the router, switching off 5Ghz...nothing makes a difference! 😐

Mrkieranb

I get same issue since today both fire stick report 1 bar yet speeds ain't poor firestick is near router so is phone yet both report 1 bar also states non of my devices support beamforming yet a few days ago it did they claim things can affect signal like microwaves Bluetooth speakers but I don't have any of them yes TV is near router but not like it's sitting right next to it werid