main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Broadband setup using TP-Link TD-W9980 N600 Router Problem

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
2: Seeker

I am having trouble trying to set up my TP-Link router to work with Vodafone Broadband Fibre service.

I have contacted Vodafone to get my broadband username and password, I have tripple checked the details by calling them twice and requesting them over live chat, just to rule out any errors and all matched apart from the first request when they forgot to give me the @broadband.vodaphone.co.uk bit.

When I use them on my T-Link router it, it doesn't appear to authenicate and I get "Failed to authenicate ourselves to peer"  ( See attached log ) which to me suggests the username or password are not correct,  so I'm not at a loss

I've set the connection up manually and also trying using the router's wizard and using the BT settings but either way gives me no joy.

My VLAN ID is set 101

Username is in the format of : dslxyz @broadband.vodafone.co.uk

I've tried powering the router up and down which doesn't make a difference.

I'm wondering if I need to do up software update of my router?, i've used my TP-Linksuccessfully with Plus.net and EE fibre services before without any issues, so wondering why this is different.

My Service only went live on Thursday 18th Oct, all is well using the Vodafone router but just can't get it working with my own router.

Any suggestions?

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Right despite contacting them 3 times, thought why not try contact them again online.

Asked for the cred again, now to the naked eye the details looked identical to the ones they had given me before however when I copied and pasted them into notepad the character which looked like an 'l' actually turned out to be a capital i, you can see the same problem with the font they use on their forum!, but it's even worse online chat and you can't differeniate between them they look identical as the font is smaller.

i.e : lI <- they look pretty much the same, so even when you ask for your details over the phone they will read them out incorrectly 

So my advice is always ask for your creds  via online chat, copy and paste  their response from the window straight into notepad and you will see the correct details, looks like quite a few other people have the same problem and it's down to Vodafone and their choice of fonts that they use for their web site / customer support system,  not sure how they have got into this situation as their site would fail all accessbility standards! sort it out Vodafone !

Anyway all working now after the 4th call.

View more options
4 REPLIES 4
13: Advanced Member

Ask for your connection details again in case there is a mistake.

Make sure that your are trying to use PPPoE.

Set priority (802.1p) to 2.

Look at the other router configuration details posted in the long thread about using your own router.

My router normally takes a couple of minutes to connect.

View more options

I have asked them 3 times already for the broadband username and password,  2 different phone calls,  and once over live chat to make sure I hadn't written it down wrong,  all agents came back with the same username and password.

The protocol I have selected is Point to Point Over Ethernet

There isn't an option for setting the priority on my router.

I've left the router trying to connect for over an hour and still no joy.

It definely seems to be talking to vodafone server's but not able to authenicate.

View more options

Right despite contacting them 3 times, thought why not try contact them again online.

Asked for the cred again, now to the naked eye the details looked identical to the ones they had given me before however when I copied and pasted them into notepad the character which looked like an 'l' actually turned out to be a capital i, you can see the same problem with the font they use on their forum!, but it's even worse online chat and you can't differeniate between them they look identical as the font is smaller.

i.e : lI <- they look pretty much the same, so even when you ask for your details over the phone they will read them out incorrectly 

So my advice is always ask for your creds  via online chat, copy and paste  their response from the window straight into notepad and you will see the correct details, looks like quite a few other people have the same problem and it's down to Vodafone and their choice of fonts that they use for their web site / customer support system,  not sure how they have got into this situation as their site would fail all accessbility standards! sort it out Vodafone !

Anyway all working now after the 4th call.

View more options
14: Advanced member

Try setting up the VDSL connection mode a "bridging" rather than as PPPoE.  Also see if you've been sent an email with the username and password, and then copy and paste!

View more options