Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband slow down in evenings

beastarman
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Like many others I am experiencing unacceptable slow down during the evenings.  Between 6-7.30pm until gone 11pm my speeds drop to less than 5 mbps.  Sharing that amongst the 4 family members is challenging.

The move to vodafone broadband has been the worst thing I have done.  Yes I saved money versus BT by quite a bit but I would happily still be paying that now as it has proven you get what you pay for. 

Reaching out to support is absolutely pointless.  Standard script that doesn't change regardless of the issue, they don't listen to what the issue is.  They don't check how you are connected before beginning their standard set of steps which often includes reboots of routers, unplugging on cables - all of which disconnect the chat sessions - it has to be me, the customer who reminds them. 

This sort of issue has nothing to do with my master socket.  The broadband works its just your service cannot cope at night and you are traffic managing the service - which you promise you don't do.  Or you've over sold and you don't have sufficient capacity - which is absolutely disgraceful too.

I have also never reached the internet speed promised when I first signed up in January this year and like a fool I put up with it after having multiple sessions with support - that just take you through the same process of unscrewing your masterplug and plugging into test socket etc.  Having engineer out and to be just fobbed off by them. I should have pushed for cancellation.

Roll on middle of next year when I will fix this stupid mistake. I think I will take my mobile service somewhere else too. Another company can have the £200+ a month I am paying this company.

Says something when I switch off wifi on my mobile and get 5 x faster speed via 4G in my house than broadband during the evening.  Even then 25mbps over 4G isn't what is should be either.

For any prospective customers looking for Broadband.  Vodafone is not the answer.

22 REPLIES 22

Yes, that's a good point - the Vodafone Agreement I have states "Minimum guarenteed speed (in Mbps) 51.34" so they are not meeting the terms of thier contract anyway. Just need to talk to someone in support who can properly investigate the issue - not a script reader.

The appalling performance issues continue, am hoping to hear from VF support soon....

Capture2.JPG

@Bowlerman

After discussions and further diagnostics VF have agreed I can move to another ISP without incurring any early termination fees as there are capacity, contention issues and as yet no date when this will be rectified or when additional capacity will be added.

Thanks for the advice and sharing your experience, I can now move to another ISP and stop suffering the slowdown at peak times.

You are welcome, although I do think it is a cunning plan by BT to get customers back. I was with them before Vodafone and got a supper stable 70 Mbps on the same line at anytime until I swittched.  When I quirred it I was told it was something to do with the LLU shunting traffic upto Vodafone, basicly another hop to the internet. 

Manged to sign up for VMB Voom 350 Mbps (UPTO that is) Internet only @ £32.00+VAT  a month first 3 months free and free Installation so I will see how that goes.

is that a business thing, i assume a home user cannot sign up to this ?

It is a Business thing and I do have a business, but you can make up a busines name say Joe Bloggs support and signup.  Be warned though it is a business line not residentail and you will need to sign for 24 months, depending on the credit check at the address the could also ask for a deposit.  The really good thing is because it's Business you don't get the 6 monthly price hikes you do with Resdidentail.

interesting i may look into that

why is this mate ?

Too many people being pushed down one line often reffered to as Contenion ratio.  When you use your connection during the day less people ar on so you get higher speeds but as more use the service it becomes divded between you.  Only way to fix this is to have another line installed BT the wholesaler for the provider Vodafone and split the traffic giving you the speed you pay for.

Problem is it costs money, time and effort to get this done, with mine the work had been requested back in July and they could not give a date when the work would be done.  I had two options put up with the 6-8 Mbps at night or cancel I choose to leave stating that they had failed to provide the minmium speed of 50 Mbps and they agreed to allow me to leave early without penalty.

contention ratio at the exchange, am i right in sayin that all providers connect into the same exchange, if so then EVERYONE in those areas should be having issues, not just vodafone ?

They need to upgrade it, there is no other answer ( apart from leaving Vodafone ) and i dont think they want the customers to go elsewhere