main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Broadband speeds are appallingly slow with very high FEC corrections upstream.

Highlighted
3: Seeker

So my router is synced at 55mbit down/ 20mbit up. However even at this time of night I'm getting LAN speeds of 7-13mbps down and 17.9 mbps up. WiFi is at 1.15-3mbps down nut upload speed is same. Are there any issues in my line?

Here are the FEC corrections about 28 minutes after a reset to factory settings.

Error counter

Indicator         Downstream Upstream
FEC Corrections969487
CRC Error00

I reset the router to factory in case the error was on my part as I've been struggling with the vodafone router for a few days trying to set up an internal DNS resolver; which this router doesn't like and just ignores dns lookup completely. But that's for a different day as i'll probably get my own router soon.

I'll upload a screenshot of the speedtest on LAN. Please advise, thankyou.

EDIT: Forgot to mention i'm on a 76Mbps connection with 63mbps guaranteed minmum speeds.

View more options

Attachments

9 REPLIES

Hey @badar94, thanks for getting in touch. I'm really sorry to see that you're not getting the speeds you should be and apologise for any inconvenience this is causing. So I can take a closer look into this for you, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

View more options
13: Advanced Member
View more options
10: Established

I'm getting the feeling when the mods are sending links to speak to them privatly it's to keep them off posting on here.

loads of people all complain about this exact issue and vodafone say it's fine lol   - looking forward to switching to another provider very soon. 

View more options

If you plug your old router back in depending on the make and model and then ask vodafone for your user name and password and use that you be fine 

View more options

Have you got any old router that you can use .how long you been with Vodafone 

View more options
3: Seeker

@gipjon wrote:

welcome to vodafone high fec broadband its interesting that you also got the slow down at night time as well 

i would read these two links 

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/60-000-fec-corrections-every-3-seconds-and-real...

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/High-FEC-Corrections-and-CRC-errors-on-upstream...

Thanks, I'll have alook there. I kind of ignored it as long the speeds on LAN were over 40mbps.

@mrmarkyuk wrote:

I'm getting the feeling when the mods are sending links to speak to them privatly it's to keep them off posting on here.

loads of people all complain about this exact issue and vodafone say it's fine lol   - looking forward to switching to another provider very soon. 

Haha, I've filled the form in, they sent me a link to a social media escalation team.

@gipjon wrote:

If you plug your old router back in depending on the make and model and then ask vodafone for your user name and password and use that you be fine 

@gipjon wrote:

Have you got any old router that you can use .how long you been with Vodafone 

I was planning to get a newer router, probably an asus RT-AC87U; and then buy an openreach modem to use with it (HG612). I've been with them since Oct 2017, I had many problems throughout that time with periodic disconnects, No ip address on router, dsl down etc. But didn't do much until this. My contract ends in April anyways.

Right now my speedtest on wired is at 6.85mbps down/17.17 mbps up and 23ms ping to the vodafone server in Newbury.

View more options

wonder if there is a connection with the router high fec corrections and the internet lagging ,

View more options

There shouldn't be! FEC corrections come from extra data being trasmitted with each packet that can be used for error correction.  So the number of FEC corrections shows how often the error correction data had to be used.  If you didn't have FEC corrections (or an alternative error correction protocol), you'd either have to re-transmit entire packets and/or use lower data rates.

Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_error_correction

You'll also find info on FEC on the info site run by Cisco and the like - read them at your own risk as they are seriously brain numbing!

View more options

i agree there should not be alink , but i keep seeing the same thing around the web with vodafone router , users are getting lagg (slow internet ) , router sync below minimum guaranteed speed and very high fec correctsions  on upload , then when the fec hits a certain number it dropps the connection and reset the counter 

View more options