main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Broadband speeds unacceptably slow in the evenings

2: Seeker

So I’ve noticed over the last few weeks that my broadband is incredibly slow in the evenings. 

Ive tried to reset the router to factory settings, chang channels and believe it or not I’m on mobile data to post this message. I can’t do anything on WiFi. What’s going on Vodafone? I’m paying for 76mb fibre broadband here to watch. YouTube buffering?? Can’t watch Netflix! Now TV, bbc iPlayer?? Are you going to reimburse me for loss of service...

I never had this with BT

View more options
66 REPLIES 66

I'm disappointed to hear the speeds you're receiving @Chet_2018.

So we can look into this with you, please see the private message i've just sent to you.

View more options
3: Seeker

Hi, completely aside I discovered my router's firewall was causing my download speed to drop from 71mb (actual, but syncing at 79mb), to 21mb. Bizarrely switching router firewall off (I know terrible idea) restores to low 70s.

BUT this evening after a little detective work, disappointed to report real world usage (not speedtest.net which reports 71mb) Netflix only conects at 5mbps max, so struggles with 1080p. No chance of actually playing back UHD which I subscribe to. Often only SD which looks shocking on a 58 inch 4k hdr TV.

Clearly streaming traffic is overwhelming my local exchange / Vodafone servers. 

Fast.com maxing around 9mbps and Netflix internal apps struggling on all my devices be it wired or WiFi. Panasonic smart TV, sky q, roku streaming stick plus and chromecast ultra. Netflix internal speed test report around 5mbps max. Shocking.

Just need to know if my exchange is over subscribed because minimum speed promise nowhere near being met. Any suggestions? 

Online chat and first line support both clueless, nice but clueless. 

FYI. I'm a TV post production expert, installing editing systems and storage networks. 

Really wish we'd stayed with sky. Prior to switching no problems ever with UHD. Only router and isp have changed ...

View more options
Highlighted

See my post linked below. This clearly is not about capacity at the exchange, because once the traffic is encrypted it gets a 10x speed increase. This is throttling of streaming traffic despite Vodafone repeatedly stating it doesn't...

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/Poor-speedtest-results-and-slow-websites-Twitch...

View more options
Moderator (Retired) Joe
Moderator (Retired)

@ogriff Hi there, This is something we really want to investigate. I've sent you a private message on how to contact us regarding your issue. If you can fill in your details we'll be in touch as soon as we can. Joe

View more options

Morning,

Same problems here! Just switched back to BT and 50mb performance is leagues ahead of Vodafone. 

Something very strange in the evenings, even 3G in the phones was better and reception around my area is not great. 

View more options

This is the exact problem I have. And when I turn vpn low and behold sppeeds are black up. It’s 100% throttling. How do I cancel the contract or is there a fix for this. Very disappointed. Only been with them for 2 months but like you Netflix is next to unusable. What happens next?

View more options

@Hawtin1584 wrote:

This is the exact problem I have. And when I turn vpn low and behold sppeeds are black up. It’s 100% throttling. How do I cancel the contract or is there a fix for this. Very disappointed. Only been with them for 2 months but like you Netflix is next to unusable. What happens next?

Suport were supposed to call me back last Monday, still waiting.

We need to let as many potential new customers know what the reality is of switching to Vodafone  I think I'll have to take legal advice on order to leave. Disgusting service and terrible product  

The private messages are just an attempt to get you to contact support again which I have done many times now. 

No actual support here. 

View more options
4: Newbie

I had my problems with them 6 months ago now.  Nothing has changed so it seems, my issues were exactly the same as the other posters.  Their support is atrocious, don't expect them to help you in any meaningful way, they'll just close your calls as complete and ignore you.  If you're lucky one of the mods on here will take your case.  The fun doesn't stop there though.  Even though know they have issue with their network, they will still make you jump through an extraordinary amount of hoops before you can exit your contract.  Expect to be taking screenshots of your download speeds in safe mode on a wired pc for a couple of days....they may eventually say you can get a discount on your bill until it's fixed or leave your contract without any fees.  No choice there really.  Oh and if they chase you for their router, just ignore it.  Really they should be reported to ofcom....

View more options

I’ve made a formal complaint. I’ve contacted OfCom. Il let you know the out come. But it’s disgusting. 

View more options

I have been with Vodafone broadband for last 2 years, recently renewed after moving into a new property. Vodafone support has always been abysmal but recenlty internet speeds has been terrible. I have a 38Mbps line with sync speed of 40 but Netflix Speed test doesn't give me more than 10 Mbps in a day. Around evening, it crawls to less then 5Mbps. Honestly, regret renewing with them to save a 3 quid on BT.. NOT WORTH IT...

View more options

I’m in the same boat as you but get worse speed on Netflix or any streaming site. Vodafone must know this. They are being investigated by Ofcom for throttling also. What makes it hilarious is that I reported the fault before my 30 days were up and they said they will fix it and look into it. I have since called to say I want to leave but it’s now over the 30 days. However it’s only over the 30 days as they have been trying to fix it without success and now won’t let me leave. Seems ludicrous that I gave them the opportunity to fix the problem and now I’m being punished as they won’t let me leave! It’s crazy. Any admins reading this?

View more options

Agreed, they are throttling speeds. If you do a speed test with  speedtest.net and then do a comparison with Netflix speed test which is more of a streaming benchmark, there is world of difference. Speedtest will give you 30-35 Mbps most of time during the day whereas Netflix will never go beyong 10 MBps on 38Mpbs line. I think Vodafone has to have a good hard look at this and if this proves to true, people will leave them in droves.

View more options

It’s definatley true they they slow speeds down for streaming and make it unusable. Wish I never went with them now. Interestingly if you turn a VPN on and hide your connection you get full speeds again. If that’s not proof that they are throttling I don’t know what is! 

View more options

I am currently having a similar issue, router syncs at 67Mbps and speedtests will normally run around 10Mbps during the day, this is with a single laptop connected with a cable to rule out wireless issues. Streaming will often stop and websites hang etc.

Filters/faceplates etc have been checked and another laptop tested

On friday I spoke to a level 2 engineer who said it was the router, I know this is not the case as I have a spare Draytek vdsl router which runs at the same speed,

Despite this he said he would send a new router out and promised to call me today, 

It has arrived today, he hasn't called me and of course the router has the same issue

The icing on the cake is that I've also found out I've been charged for delivery of the router that I never asked for

I'm sure the service is oversubcribed in my area, does anyone know how I can get this call escalated?

Thank you

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there, I apologise for the issues you're facing with the broadband. We'd like to investigate each of your cases individually.

@mysuperstar@Hawtin1584@vinny2a@Paul_P1@ogriff

I've sent you all a private message with details on how to get in touch.

View more options

Well I have filled in the forms. So let’s see what happens. I’ve already been sent a new router but like you it made no difference. Apparently mine is with tech 3 at the moment but they don’t speak to customers direct. So have to wait for them to discuss it with tech 2. Will let you all know how I get on. Also will let you know the outcome of filling in the form. I have to turn the WiFi off at peak times now as it’s unusable and often crashes. Never ever had this problem with Sky. Can’t wait for them to fix the issue or return to sky so I can actually use the internet!

View more options

Same here, I used to be on Plusnet which would run at 70Mbps all the time on the same line , I moved due to the price but have had issues ever since

View more options
13: Advanced Member

My last call with VF they said that 1Mbps download speeds on a line which syncs at 80Mbps is perfectly acceptable and that there are no issues.

Muppetly in the extreme.

View more options

I feel your pain, I have exactly the same problem with slow speeds in the evening. After multiple attempts to contact VF they just couldn't bother, I still dont know if this ever gets fixed.

View more options