main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Broadband speeds unacceptably slow in the evenings

4: Newbie

MarkF, that is, in my experience and others in this thread, a completely useless excersise.  

View more options
2: Seeker

A47C4EE9-050C-427D-A814-4653D68D9F1E.png

That’s my speed and I’ve spoken to Tech 2 maybe 20 times. Nothing changes. Made a formal complaint and they let me leave free of charge so I suggest others do the same. Mines never seen above 9mb and I’m paying for 36mb!  Suggest all ask to make a formal complaint and you wish to know the out come. That’s what I did (they still made me do all the tests that don’t work! However in the end was allowed to leave. I suggest others do the same as it will and has never changed. You won’t get the speeds you pay for. Something is seriously up with the Vodafone broadband. 

View more options

Send complains to directorsupport @help.vodafone.co.uk (delete space before the @)

Hits directly the CEO office. Forum software tries to block actively that address!

View more options

My service on my VF Fibre BB hasn't been too bad since I joined in September 2017.

It gets a lot of use in our house, with me, wife and son using Phones and tablets on wifi, and son online gaming (xbox) and we do a lot of streaming/downloading.

Had notice over the last few weeks, the internet would slow, and occassionally I'd get a message to restart my DSL line as the router had dropped. Once restarted it was fine again.

However last night, was watching Fortitude streaming on Sky Q in HD (not UHD), and it stalled mideway through the stream/download - this has never happened before. After a few more goes where it kept stalling, I rebooted the router, and then started looking at online speedtests.

Using both wifi and hardwired with ethernet, on average across a few different speed testers, I was getting min. 7mbps to a max of 15mbps. download. Upload speeds were slightly better on all tests.

Something defintitly appears to have changed with the service (for me in particular) over the last few weeks. Being at work, I have yet to try it during the day to see if speeds are better before 7pm. However, if things stay as they were last night, then I wont be staying with VF once my contract is up (end of march 2019).

View more options

The answer is fairly simply. They promoted the broadband so much for a very low price that the can't keep up with the hardware in the exchanges. I guess they simply hope that people won't realize the drop from late afternoon until some point in the night or are not affected at all.

View more options
3: Seeker

I'm suffering the same issues, been with VF since February and it was ok after we swapped out the terrible supplied router... But the last month has been hell, the connection is so slow in the evenings Netflix fails nearly everytime we use it, we are on the 76mb package but we get 26-30mb max but it's stjll so sluggish its unreal. We contacted support who did the usual checks, and they've come back with the reason my internet is slow is because the exchange is over subscribed, so it's capacity is low.

I find this hard to believe on a 2 year old fibre cabinet installation into a rural village of less than 20 households.

I'm made an official complaint, currently they say they will compensate me for the list of service once it's fixed... That's all they can do.

If I look up other suppliers, BT sky etc they all offer a minimum speed of 57-64mb on my line, or my money back.

All seems fishy to me.

View more options

Cancel with them. Don;t compromise with that "we will fix it ##~##".

View more options
View more options
15: Advanced member

Untill tonight I'd not seen the streaming slow downs for myself.  Tonight though I've been seeing resolution on Netflix bobbing all the way between 4K and 480 (SD)!  Thing is I'm only seeing that on Netflix!  Every year we take out the Amazon Prime trial, just to cover Black Friday and the following month before cancelling.  Well 4K seems to be working just fine on Amazon Prime and Rakuten, just not on Netflix!

View more options

Touch wood, since the weekend, mine appears to have been behaving and gone back to how it was back until a couple of weeks ago when I noticed a serious decline.

possibly, what was broken is being fixed?

View more options

Well, off work today with a poorly son, so running some speedtests this morning - all wired.

Speedtest.net:

Ping: 22ms

D/L: 9.65mbps

U/L: 17.70mbps

Fast.com:

Internet speed: 6.4mbps

Upload: 17mbps

So this doesn't appear to be an evening issue for me.

Is there anything I can do to the settings before ringing support?  Or should I just escalate this with a complaint now, as it seems to be the same issue many are having ,and changing settings isn't helping.

View more options

I get similar slow speeds all the time 

although if I change the Speedtest.net server some of them will run at full speed (70Mbps) such as xilo 

whereas the vodafone server at Speedtest.net or fast.com will always run around 8Mbps

View more options
15: Advanced member

Apart from Netflix the other day my thoughput is generally pretty steady, but you can't rely on Vodafone's London Speedtest server to give you a sensible result!  In the North East and at peak times I can't even connect to the Vodafone London Speed test server!

Sync Speed: 49Mbps

Speedtest Servers in Gateshead, York, and Hull: 47Mbps

Speedtest Utrect (NL) Vodafone!: 44Mbps

Speedtest Cairo Vodafone: 24Mbps

Fast.com: 12Mbps (very variable at the moment)

Speedtest Newbury Vodafone: 8Mbps

Speedtest London Vodafone: unable to connect

So I can connect to Vodafone speedtest servers abroad at higher speeds than I can to Vodafone in Newbury, and I can't even reach Vodafone's London server!

View more options
12: Established

VF London - D: 26Mbps / U: 18.99 (177 miles)
VF Newbury - D: 8.69Mbps / U: 16:34 (71 miles)

(Speedtest auto) Hub Network Services  - D:9.11Mbps / U: 16:45

All in all, pretty s**te for a service which syncs at 80/20

VF tell me their routers are scared of the dark, which is why they operate more slowlyt in the evenings.

View more options

A speedtest to the vodafone server from a different ISP runs at full speed, its only from my Vodafone line it slows down!

I also have a Virgin 50Mbps Broadband line, I just ran a speedtest to Vodafone London and it showed 56Mbps when cabled to the router

My Vodafone VDSL which syncs at 70Mbps, showed 18Mbps when cabled using the same laptop

View more options
12: Established

Which implies the issues are in the ISP (ie. Vodaw*nks) backhauls from the exchanges.  However VF have burried their heads in the sand and refuse to accept that over subscription of a damp piece of string is possible.

View more options
Highlighted

So just a quick update. I’ve been able to leave free of charge as you know. It was my go live date with BT today. So took a speed test with Vodafone and it was 8.8mb. BT engineer came and installed everything. Did a speed test straight away and got 40mb! If that’s not telling you that’s somethings wrong with Vodafone’s broadband then I don’t know what is. I suggest you all try and leave as it’s obvious it isn’t working. 

View more options

Mine is still slow even druing the day, and noticeably slower in the evenings.

I've started changing the wifi channels which does help a little, but not a huge improvement, and have just replaced the microfilter to the master, which again hasn;t made a huge difference.

This weekend, I'll try the test socket on the phone master socket, as my phone line doesn't seem to tbe working either (no tone in house, and engaged tone when ringing in - hardly ever use house hone though). So will test that to see if the problem is still there as that'll be first things they'd probably ask me to check anyway.

My contract finishes end of March, so not too long to go anyway, shoudl I need to sit it out.

View more options

Three weeks after I put the support call in and after almost an hour on the phone today they are letting me leave the contract free of charge

I've signed up with Plusnet and go live in January

View more options

I should chase them, having purchased a linksys Linksys WRT3200ACM and installed DD-WRT  using a vpn client I can now stream Netflix again in UHD, fast.com connects at 70mbps not 5mbps

Clearly Vodafone has issues with streaming traffic, namely Netflix  

This is unacceptable, and I've only had to spend an extra £200 on a new router and vpn subscription to prove it. [Removed]

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove inappropriate content please see Community Guidelines]

View more options