main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Broadband speeds unacceptably slow in the evenings

15: Advanced member

It took posts that three of us in here have made to get out heads together and notice something odd.  I'd already noticed that often our data has been ping-ponging between different Vodafone/C&W servers before hitting the internet proper.  But I'd not really gone into depth on where those servers are!  Well, if the tools we have to hand are correct one reason for our slow downs could be that our data is ping-ponging ACROSS the Atlantic multiple times.

It looks like Vodafone have a major network routing issue at the moment, and it must be costing them a fortune routing all our data 10's of thousands of extra miles back and forth across the Atlantic completely unnecessarily!

*I'm only prepared to say suggests, because I'm well aware that the network tools the average use has at their disposal are limited and can be wrong.  However, the issues that the tools suggest would kinda tie in with the problems that we are seeing!  **Visual traceroute for example suggests that for myself in the North East UK, to contact Vodafone's speedtest server in London, the data in that test is making a 21,000 mile round trip - even passing though the London data centre only to be sent over the Atlantic back and forth a couple of time before ending up back in the same London data centre!

View more options
2: Seeker

Just rang Vodafone about my issues. As well as slow fibre BB, my phone line is off (no tone internally, and engaged tone when ringing in). Hadn't notcied the phone line as we hardly ever use the landline, but guessing it may have dropped at a similar time as the BB speed dropped away (about a month or so ago for me).

Anyway, tried the phone directly in the master socket and test socket, changed microfilters, and nothing worked.

Anyway, VF have checked from their end and it appears there is a fault on the line, so they are sending an engineer (openreach) tomorrow morning to sort it.

Hopefully that may sort my slow fibre, but will run speedtests again once its done, as currently I can only get an average of between 7-12mbps on wifi or an ethernet connection.

View more options

Well, had 3 engineer visits so far, one to diagnose the fault on the line, and two to carry out digs in the street.

The 2nd dig was today, and I now have a phone line again. However, the broadband speed is still as slow as before. 

Using a wired connection, I am getting at best around 20mbps, down to 7-10 depending on the speedtest server used.

Fast.com is even worse, saying my internet speed is an average of 4mbps.

I had to chase Vodafone to find out they were coming back out ofr the 2nd dig today, so still waiting on confirmation that they have actually finished the works.

I'll keep monitoring my speeds incase it just needs to sort itself out after being down, and cant try during the day until the weekend. But if it stays lie thus, then I will be off to Sky Fibre by end of March.

Guessing that if my contract ends March 28th, I can arrange my new service at end of Feb, and Sky will serve the notice about taking over the Broadband?

Even when I had Skys standard Broadband, it was faster than I'm getting with Vodafone at the moment.

View more options
3: Seeker

@Marc_Johnson_1 wrote:

Well, had 3 engineer visits so far, one to diagnose the fault on the line, and two to carry out digs in the street.

The 2nd dig was today, and I now have a phone line again. However, the broadband speed is still as slow as before. 

Using a wired connection, I am getting at best around 20mbps, down to 7-10 depending on the speedtest server used.

Fast.com is even worse, saying my internet speed is an average of 4mbps.

I had to chase Vodafone to find out they were coming back out ofr the 2nd dig today, so still waiting on confirmation that they have actually finished the works.

I'll keep monitoring my speeds incase it just needs to sort itself out after being down, and cant try during the day until the weekend. But if it stays lie thus, then I will be off to Sky Fibre by end of March.

Guessing that if my contract ends March 28th, I can arrange my new service at end of April, and Sky will serve the notice about taking over the Broadband?

Even when I had Skys standard Broadband, it was faster than I'm getting with Vodafone at the moment.

Agreed, can't wait to go back to sky. Vodafone is only usable for me with a UK VPN to bypass horrible streaming speeds on services I pay for. Absolutely terrible, the worst I've ever encountered.

View more options

I was eventually able to leave my contract free of charge, I contacted the complaints department who were helpful and chased up my case every day with the support department and updated me

After a couple of weeks when it was obvious the speed issue wouldn't be resolved one of the complaints management put a note on my account to say I could leave FOC

So today I've moved over to Plusnet, my 15Mbps speedtest immediately went to 62Mbps using identical equipment, all I did was change the PPPoE username and password on my router

I did find on my old service there were particular servers I could select when running speedtests which would run at full speed which was strange but generally I would download at around 10-15Mbps but sync at 67Mbps

View more options

I had a call from the Tech 2 depertment last night, checkign if my servcies were back up and running after the recent works.

My phone line is working again, however I advised him that my fibre speed was still down. He checked at his end and said it was syncing at 43mbps (approx), and then stated that it was below their guaranteed minimum of 56mbps, so they are goign to run further tests from their end to see why its not syncing at the minimum rate.

Will see how it goes, but pretty much decided that I'm off to Sky by End of March when my VF contract runs out.

Guessing if my VF contract finishes end of March, I can sign up to Sky (and they give my notice to VF) at end of February?

View more options
Highlighted

Well, 6 days later and whilst my Sync speed has improved to 51mbps (which is still below their minimum guarantee for the 76mb service, which is 55 I believe), the actual download speeds are just the same - averageing between 7-15mbps on a wired ethernet connection. 

I am waiting for a call back to see if Openreach have actually finished their works to the fibre line/connection or are still ongoing.

However, next time VF call me, I will be demanding either a refund/credit back on my acocunt for the drop in speed (as their 'minimum speed guarantee' suggests I should get and/or allowance to leave my contract a month or so earlier than my contract finishes.

One thing about going to Sky/plusnet, etc, my worry is that I have the same speed issues through the openreach service, but then I am left with going back to Virgin media, which I didn't really want to do (due to their regular price rises).

View more options