Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband vs Amazon issues

JanetH
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi I have a fire stick and Kindle both of which will not connect to my vodaphone wifi, neither device will find by the network all our Apple phones iPads etc are connected. I’ve done all the obvious parental controls, forgetting networks, on off, reset factory settings, tried to connect using every known method. Does anyone know what is going on? Vodaphone are testing the line !! Apparently.

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm really sorry to hear that Vodafone is testing your line since this is a WiFi issue and not a line issue (they're wasting their time if they are in fact doing this).

The problem is most likely that your router has picked 2.4GHz channel 12 or 13, which neither your Firestick nor Kindle can see.

Any normal ISP would enable you to either pick a specific channel or omit channels known to be problematic to some devices.  Unfortunately, having your router not use the problem channels requires speaking to Vodafone (again).

Jayach
16: Advanced member
@Anonymous wrote:

The problem is most likely that your router has picked 2.4GHz channel 12 or 13, which neither your Firestick nor Kindle can see.

I thought that at first, but all Fire devices can use the 5Ghz channels so if the 2.4Ghz is using 12 or 13 it shouldn't matter. 

@JanetH If you log into the router you can check what channels it is using under Status & Support.

Main Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz
Status
On
Name
vodafone04035D
MAC Address
d4:35:1d:04:03:xx
Security
WPA2-PSK
Channel
Bandwidth
72 Mbps
Max BW
288 Mbps
Minimum Sync Speed
72 Mbps
Main Wi-Fi 5 GHz
Status
On
Name
vodafone04035D
MAC Address
d6:35:1d:04:03:xx
Security
WPA2-PSK
Channel
Bandwidth
585 Mbps
Max BW
2 Gbps
Minimum Sync Speed
585 Mbps

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member

@Jayach wrote:

I thought that at first, but all Fire devices can use the 5Ghz channels so if the 2.4Ghz is using 12 or 13 it shouldn't matter. 

My Kindle PaperWhite is 2.4 GHz only although it is a few years old now.  
I seem to recall that one of the issues I had with my THG3000 was the woefully inadequate wifi range which ruled out 5.0 GHz in most of the house and even 2.4 GHz struggled to reach the reach the further half the first floor.

I’d often find bedroom Echo devices had dropped their wifi connections - is Amazon a common theme 😁

Thanks 

I’d agree under usual housing conditions however this problem is in my static caravan where the router sits on the same table ad my television/ fire stick I can’t see it being a distance issue. 

what Chanel is your routes using ? I’m leaning towards this an the fault, though Voda have said it isn’t the problem. What do they know 🤣

Jayach

@HappyNomad wrote:

@Jayach wrote:

It's not a Fire device is it. That's why I said Fire devices not Amazon devices.

@HappyNomad wrote:

I’d often find bedroom Echo devices had dropped their wifi connections - is Amazon a common theme 

None of my Echo or Fire devices ever drop, they are all using 5Ghz and are scattered around the house.

Hi 

yes 

I’m pleased to say on this occasion Voda  have come up trumps- this issue was a quick fix by splitting the SSID in router settings. All Amazon products now connected 

HappyNomad

@Jayach wrote:

@HappyNomad wrote:

@Jayach wrote:

It's not a Fire device is it. That's why I said Fire devices not Amazon devices.

No… it isn’t a Fire Device but the Op specifically referenced ‘Kindle’ and the second post referenced 2.4GHz channels 12 and 13.

@JanetH wrote

Hi I have a fire stick and Kindle both of which will not connect to my vodaphone wifi, neither device will find by the network all our Apple phones iPads etc are connected.

thanks 

Is this meaning I need to change the Chanel ?? Amazon say I need to be using 1-11 to be able to connect ? How can I do this ? 

Follow my instructions here from yesterday at 1:44pm on another Vodafone forum page on how to change your channels manually.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Can-I-change-my-home-broadband-channel/m-p/2...