Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can I change my home broadband channel?

anotheruser
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello!

I've got the big square Vodafone hub and recently moved into a little neighborhood. Sometimes my wifi drops to significantly low speeds, particularly at night time and whenever I check it's aligns with the channel overlapping a lot of others. For some reason my router is selecting channel 9 whereas all the VM and SKY routers in the area seem to mostly behave in their respectful 1, 6 and 11 lanes. 

Having used a wifi analyzer for a while I can see that channel 6 is begging for more routers to choose it, but I can't see any way to do this in the router?

Please can anyone help me? Seems like I'm missing something obvious here

32 REPLIES 32

They used to work on Vodafone. I've tried resetting them but the app tells me they fail to connect. I've also noticed that the Vodafone router seems to change channels randomly and currently the channel is set to 13

Jayach
16: Advanced member

I suspect the problem here is that the app needs to be running on a device that is also connected to the 2.4Ghz channel. Are you on Pro? If not you should still be able to split the bands.

Good input and unfortunately I'm not able to test this easily as I can't split the bands. It seems that neither the Vodafone app nor the web interface allows me to do this. The web interface tells me to use the super WiFi tile in the app which is rubbish. 

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Knutbe - We’d like to take a closer look at the settings from our side. Please reach out us through Social Media

VFbroadbanduser
10: Established
10: Established

Yes you can, but you need an Android device to do it.

Vodafone have removed the setting from the router and several newer versions of the Vodafone Broadband app (Why?). What you need to do is download the apk of 4.1.0 of the Android Vodafone Broadband app. This will allow you to change any channels manually.

Once you have installed the app and connected it to the router, you have to be quick because the app automatically updates itself to the latest version again around 5 minutes later after installing it. It doesn't even need the Google Play store to do it.

Once you have set up the Vodafone Broadband app you need to select the wifi networks, I configure my router with split SSID's for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks with the Guest network also turned on. Then you select the 2.4Ghz network scroll down and manually change the channel to a different one.

This is the only method of manually changing either the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz channels, you must use an Android device to do it. 

Hey thanks for the info - how can I get the previous apk version?

Jayach

A quick search found this:

Vodafone Broadband - Broadband at your fingertips 4.5.2 Download Android APK | Aptoide

The version you want is 4.1.0. Don't forget to turn auto update off or it will update itself.

Edit: Strangely I couldn't download the app from Aptoide, it jut kept downloading the Aptoide app itself. so I found this one instead, and that worked.

Vodafone Broadband - Broadband at your fingertips APK 4.1.0 Download for Android – Download Vodafone...

2nd Edit: Thought I should add a disclaimer: Downloading from anywhere other than the official app store carries a risk.

That's the version I have from Aptoide and you have to install it first and then install the Vodafone broadband app the first time. But what I have is another app called APK Extractor so once 4.1.0 is installed, I build the apk of the Vodafone Broadband app using it, so I don't have to use the Aptoide app anymore. 

It's stupid that Vodafone took the option to change the channels manually out of the GUI and the mobile app ages ago.

Yes I finally figured out that Aptoide require you to install their app store first. They don't make that obvious.

The Apkfab download was just the apk file itself.

I tried to install it on an emulator but had no luck so installed the apkfab on a old samsung I had lying around that is set to never update anything. Now it's lying behind the router whenever I need it.

Easy to change the channel with the old app, thanks for the help!