main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Can I sell the included Apple TV box?

jcwacky
2: Seeker

Just signed up with Vodafone Pro Xtra, but I don't need the included Apple TV 4K box, as I already have one.

It is still sealed, can I sell it as a normal Apple TV? Or is it in some way linked to Vodafone?

View more options
17 REPLIES 17
BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

There used to be a caveat in Vodafone's Terms and Conditions that a device couldn't be sold for at least 6 months from ownership but that was removed some years ago 

Do double check any T&C's @jcwacky but I think it's upto you what you do with it.

Lot's of people do sell them.

Current Phone > Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G - SM9860 Snapdragon.

Samsung One Ui 3.1  / Android 11.

View more options
jcwacky

Good point, thanks. I'll double-check the T&Cs.

As it is sealed, I'd presumed it would be just like one bought direct from Apple. But then I believe that the only way to activate the included Apple TV+ or YouTube Premium subscription was via the Apple TV box. So does something relating to Vodafone pop up when it's first turned on? Does anyone know how that works?

View more options
BandOfBrothers

Apple don't allow any Network's to have anything on their devices.

There's no bloatware or splashscreens etc.

If you Google Search 'how to activate apple tv box ' you'll see how that works.

Current Phone > Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G - SM9860 Snapdragon.

Samsung One Ui 3.1  / Android 11.

View more options
Jayach
16: Advanced member

In the legal terms for Pro Xtra is says "Ownership of the Apple 4K TV equipment is yours 14 days after activation of your Xtra Home Broadband service." so no problems selling it.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/pro scroll to bottom of page.

View more options
jeffkinn

All Apple devices rely on an Apple ID and they're free. If you already have an Apple product like an iPhone, iPad or Mac, you'll already have an Apple ID.

If you want to subscribe to Apple TV+, a Netflix type streaming service, you do that through your Apple ID.

Vodafone won't be involved in any way.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
jcwacky

Thanks Jeff. I have many Apple devices and am very familiar with how Apple ID works.

However, it says my Vodafone plan includes YouTube Premium, Apple TV+ and Amazon Prime Video. When I asked Vodafone about how to activate these, they told me I needed to plug in the Apple TV and it would "pop-up". But I am planning to sell the Apple TV, so I just want to be sure that nothing about Vodafone will pop up when the buyer plugs it in.

If it won't, then how does the YouTube Premium (etc) subscription that is included with my Vodafone Broadband plan get activated. As I see no other way of doing it. 

View more options
Jayach

@jeffkinn wrote:

If you want to subscribe to Apple TV+, a Netflix type streaming service, you do that through your Apple ID.

The box comes with 1 year Apple TV+. It will be applied as soon as you/they log into the box with your/their Apple ID.

Edit: There are no other premium services supplied. The box you get is exactly the same as if you went and bought it retail.

2nd Edit: Can you give a link to where it says premium services other that Apple TV+ are included as I haven't seen anything to say they are. Mind you I'm just an ordinary customer not a representative of Vodafone.

View more options
jcwacky

Thanks, so if I sold the Apple TV, the buyer would get the free year?

What about YouTube Premium? It says this is included with my account, how does that get activated?

See YouTube Premium icon at the bottom of this screen, in My Vodafone:

screenshot.jpg

View more options
Jayach

@jcwacky wrote:

Thanks, so if I sold the Apple TV, the buyer would get the free year?

Yes

Vodafone:

screenshot.jpg

It also shows Spotify. I must say I don't understand that. I just think it means the apps are available.

View more options
jcwacky

Spotify Premium, though. The wording “Includes” followed by 3 different paid for subscriptions definitely suggests I can pick one to be included for free. 

They match the services listed here: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/music-tv-and-sport

but that page only mentions mobile plans.

View more options
Jayach

It does indeed seem to suggest that. Perhaps as Pro includes a data sim you are entitled to that offer. Only Vodafone can answer for sure, and they are unlikely to do that here.

View more options
jcwacky

I asked them via chat, the assistant said something should popup when I first use the Apple TV and ask me which subscription I want from the 3. This is why I first started this post. But this now sounds like it was incorrect. He also pointed me to the redeem offers site, but you need to enter a Vodafone number for that and the one from the data SIM said no offers were available. So sounds like he didn’t know what he was talking about.

I think I’m going to conclude that those icons shouldn’t be there, and it’s a mistake/glitch. Therefore the included Apple TV+ subscription prob comes straight from Apple with nothing to do with Vodafone, so nothing Vodafone related will popup when me (or a buyer) activates the Apple TV.

Thanks for your help all.

View more options
gipjon

you could do with the broadband representative to answer that question.  

line rental £68

broadband support standard

If i was paying £68 i would expect a higher level of broadband support not standed 

View more options
Jayach

@jcwacky wrote:

I asked them via chat, the assistant said something should popup when I first use the Apple TV and ask me which subscription I want from the 3. But this now sounds like it was incorrect. He also pointed me to the redeem offers site, but you need to enter a Vodafone number for that and the one from the data SIM said no offers were available. So sounds like he didn’t know what he was talking about.

Unfortunately I get that impression whenever I talk to Vodafone.

View more options
Jayach

I checked my equivalent page to yours, and I have the Apple TV included, but there is no sign of those icons.

The bottom of my bill does say 

offers.jpg

So as they show on your account I think you should be entitled to them. (but I'm sure it won't be via the Apple TV)

If you can't get any sense out of the help desk raise a complaint. Vodafone complaints

View more options
jcwacky

@Jayach wrote:

I checked my equivalent page to yours, and I have the Apple TV included, but there is no sign of those icons.

The bottom of my bill does say 

offers.jpg

So as they show on your account I think you should be entitled to them. (but I'm sure it won't be via the Apple TV)

If you can't get any sense out of the help desk raise a complaint. Vodafone complaints

Ah! Thanks. I just tried the chat again, this time I was (eventually) told:

I would like to request you to please wait for next 72hrs and you'll receive the email confirmation for your YouTube premium service and if in case you'll not get any you can connect with us and we will help you to get this.

Please be assured James, you'll get the link to activate your entertainment plan for sure in next 72hrs and you can also keep this chat id XXXX for the assurance.

So we'll wait and see!

View more options
Jayach

If all the Pro Xtra plans include a choice of premium addon it makes the prices more reasonable, but I've not seen anywhere it says they do. In fact as the Xtra plans include calls, which are normally £8.00 on their own, it is a good deal.

View more options