Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can I sell the included Apple TV box?

jcwacky
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Just signed up with Vodafone Pro Xtra, but I don't need the included Apple TV 4K box, as I already have one.

It is still sealed, can I sell it as a normal Apple TV? Or is it in some way linked to Vodafone?

17 REPLIES 17

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

There used to be a caveat in Vodafone's Terms and Conditions that a device couldn't be sold for at least 6 months from ownership but that was removed some years ago 

Do double check any T&C's @jcwacky but I think it's upto you what you do with it.

Lot's of people do sell them.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Good point, thanks. I'll double-check the T&Cs.

As it is sealed, I'd presumed it would be just like one bought direct from Apple. But then I believe that the only way to activate the included Apple TV+ or YouTube Premium subscription was via the Apple TV box. So does something relating to Vodafone pop up when it's first turned on? Does anyone know how that works?

BandOfBrothers

Apple don't allow any Network's to have anything on their devices.

There's no bloatware or splashscreens etc.

If you Google Search 'how to activate apple tv box ' you'll see how that works.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

jeffkinn

All Apple devices rely on an Apple ID and they're free. If you already have an Apple product like an iPhone, iPad or Mac, you'll already have an Apple ID.

If you want to subscribe to Apple TV+, a Netflix type streaming service, you do that through your Apple ID.

Vodafone won't be involved in any way.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thanks Jeff. I have many Apple devices and am very familiar with how Apple ID works.

However, it says my Vodafone plan includes YouTube Premium, Apple TV+ and Amazon Prime Video. When I asked Vodafone about how to activate these, they told me I needed to plug in the Apple TV and it would "pop-up". But I am planning to sell the Apple TV, so I just want to be sure that nothing about Vodafone will pop up when the buyer plugs it in.

If it won't, then how does the YouTube Premium (etc) subscription that is included with my Vodafone Broadband plan get activated. As I see no other way of doing it. 

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@jeffkinn wrote:

If you want to subscribe to Apple TV+, a Netflix type streaming service, you do that through your Apple ID.

The box comes with 1 year Apple TV+. It will be applied as soon as you/they log into the box with your/their Apple ID.

Edit: There are no other premium services supplied. The box you get is exactly the same as if you went and bought it retail.

2nd Edit: Can you give a link to where it says premium services other that Apple TV+ are included as I haven't seen anything to say they are. Mind you I'm just an ordinary customer not a representative of Vodafone.

Thanks, so if I sold the Apple TV, the buyer would get the free year?

What about YouTube Premium? It says this is included with my account, how does that get activated?

See YouTube Premium icon at the bottom of this screen, in My Vodafone:

screenshot.jpg

Jayach

@jcwacky wrote:

Thanks, so if I sold the Apple TV, the buyer would get the free year?

Yes

Vodafone:

screenshot.jpg

It also shows Spotify. I must say I don't understand that. I just think it means the apps are available.

Spotify Premium, though. The wording “Includes” followed by 3 different paid for subscriptions definitely suggests I can pick one to be included for free. 

They match the services listed here: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/music-tv-and-sport

but that page only mentions mobile plans.