main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Can I use Vodafone Router with Google WiFi?

2: Seeker

I see that you can purchase the Google Wifi hubs directly from Vodafone.

What I'd like to do is disable the wireless and DHCP on the router and then let the Google WiFi handle the DHCP and Wireless signal.

Is this possible? There doesn't seem to be any help online as to how to do this.

Thanks!

View more options
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Hey @gurmukh, thanks for getting in touch. It's really awesome that you're looking into getting our Google Wi-Fi Whole Home System, you can find more information on this here.

I'm unsure if you'd be able to completely disable the Wi-Fi on your original router, as your broadband will be configured to be sent there directly.

So our Broadband team can investigate further, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

View more options

Hi

I am having the same issue. Can someone send me a pm as well. Thanks

View more options
14: Advanced member

does the google wifi hub have a lan port , the reason i ask is because the google wifi hub still has to connect to your main vodaphone router some how 

View more options

Hi

Yes it connects to the vodafone router via ethernet cable.

I used to be on BT Broadband & could disable the wifi on their router to avoid having both the BT network & Google Wifi network in my home which was confusing some devices.

I do not appear to be able to disable the Vodafone routers wifi & just use it as a modem?  

View more options
13: Advanced Member

@pault2739 wrote:

Hi

Yes it connects to the vodafone router via ethernet cable.

I used to be on BT Broadband & could disable the wifi on their router to avoid having both the BT network & Google Wifi network in my home which was confusing some devices.

I do not appear to be able to disable the Vodafone routers wifi & just use it as a modem?  

If you purchase an old HG612 from ebay you could use it instead of the Vodafone router and establish a PPPoE connection to it from Google Wifi.

View more options

@pault2739 Hi there, you can disable the Wireless function on the Vodafone router by pressing the button on the side of the router for about 5 seconds and this should disable the Wi-Fi. If you the plug the Google hub in via the Ethernet it should connect and you can then run the Wi-Fi with that. As long as you don't have any other devices connected to the Ethernet you shouldn't have any issues with this set up. Joe

View more options

Hi

I will try this thanks, though it seems to contradict advice on Vodafones own website where it states the router will switch off (and therefore, I assume, the modem will not work?):   

https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Vodafone-products-and-services/Broadband/My-Broadband-app/57481055/Ho...

In respect of other devices connected to the Vodafone Router I also have a Tado Bridge attached by ethernet to it. If what you advise works will I need to contact it to the Google Wifi via a Switch instead?

View more options

I can confirm that it is indeed the website that is wrong. 

A short press of the WiFi button on the side of the router starts the WPS (auto connect) process, while a longer press just turns the WiFi on or off.  The only way to turn the whole router on/off is using the power button on the rear.

*Google WiFi is a great replacement system, but not such a good supplimental one.  If you use it connected to the Vodafone router, EVERYTHING needs to connect through the Google WiFi, even those devices that use and ethernet cable, else devices on your home network will not be able to see each other.  If anyone in your household plays online games, with the setup that you are considering, you'll have issues with "Double NAT".  So Google WiFi would probably team up better with a consumer modem than with the Vodafone Modem/Router!

View more options

Hi

Thanks for all the advice. I have now purchased a HG612 3 B modem.

Before using it I was thinking of first trying to disable the wifi at the Vodafone Router as directed by pushing the button on the side of it (& thus avoid double nat?) & moving the Tado Bridge elsewhere on the network downstream of the Google Wifi, eg by ethernet cable at a powerline adaptor.

If this does not work I will try removing the Vodafone Router & setting up the modem with Google Wifi & moving the Tado Bridge as the above.

View more options

Disabling the WiFi on the VF router, only turns the WiFi off, you would still be in the double NAT situation as the VF router would still be acting as a modem+router.

Double NAT may not even be a major problem for you - it all depends on what you are doing on your network and the specific devices you are using.

View more options