cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can I use Vodafone Router with Google WiFi?

gurmukh
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I see that you can purchase the Google Wifi hubs directly from Vodafone.

What I'd like to do is disable the wireless and DHCP on the router and then let the Google WiFi handle the DHCP and Wireless signal.

Is this possible? There doesn't seem to be any help online as to how to do this.

Thanks!

21 REPLIES 21

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @gurmukh, thanks for getting in touch. It's really awesome that you're looking into getting our Google Wi-Fi Whole Home System, you can find more information on this here.

I'm unsure if you'd be able to completely disable the Wi-Fi on your original router, as your broadband will be configured to be sent there directly.

So our Broadband team can investigate further, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

Hi

I am having the same issue. Can someone send me a pm as well. Thanks

gipjon
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

does the google wifi hub have a lan port , the reason i ask is because the google wifi hub still has to connect to your main vodaphone router some how 

Hi

Yes it connects to the vodafone router via ethernet cable.

I used to be on BT Broadband & could disable the wifi on their router to avoid having both the BT network & Google Wifi network in my home which was confusing some devices.

I do not appear to be able to disable the Vodafone routers wifi & just use it as a modem?  

machare
13: Advanced Member

@pault2739 wrote:

Hi

Yes it connects to the vodafone router via ethernet cable.

I used to be on BT Broadband & could disable the wifi on their router to avoid having both the BT network & Google Wifi network in my home which was confusing some devices.

I do not appear to be able to disable the Vodafone routers wifi & just use it as a modem?  

If you purchase an old HG612 from ebay you could use it instead of the Vodafone router and establish a PPPoE connection to it from Google Wifi.

I have recently moved from BT to Vodafone (Feb 2020).  I used Google Nest to relay WiFi around my house and wanted to do the same with my new VF router.  Easy!  Once the router was active I plugged the Nest into one of the LAN sockets (yellow) and within a minute or so connection was discovered and the light on the Nest went to white.

To avoid interference you may then need to switch off the VF wifi as with BT routers in the past.  Again easy.  There is a WiFi button on the top of the unit (model THG 3000) and hold it down for 5 seconds.  The white wifi pilot light at the base of the unit will then go out.  To reconnect the wifi, then hold the switch for ~5 seconds again.

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member

@Grumpyman wrote:

To avoid interference you may then need to switch off the VF wifi as with BT routers in the past.  Again easy.  There is a WiFi button on the top of the unit (model THG 3000) and hold it down for 5 seconds.  The white wifi pilot light at the base of the unit will then go out.  To reconnect the wifi, then hold the switch for ~5 seconds again.

With the router WiFI switch... if you log into your router you can actually disable the switch to prevent inadvertently switching WiFi back on.  WiFI can be enabled / disabled from the Router's user interface.

I have just set up a Linksys Velop three node mesh.  My LAN is now a mix of:

• Ethernet to VF Router via an eight port switch (seven devices including  Hue & Hive bridges)
  • Ethernet to VF Router - mesh primary node
  • Ethernet to mesh nodes - two devices
  • WiFI to mesh network - up to eighteen devices including eight Amazon Echo screens and speakers

It all works seamlessly and so far, better than the VF router (WiFi on) and BT badged WiFi extender based LAN that I have replaced.  

A resumption of power after an area outage killed the extender and thus triggered the change to a mesh based network.

I am thinking of purchasing TP Link Deco M5 home mesh wifi system.  Is this compatible with the Vodafone router THG3000.   I have read on some forums that this particular vodafone router does not have mesh capability. 

HappyNomad

@Nas100 wrote:

I am thinking of purchasing TP Link Deco M5 home mesh wifi system.  Is this compatible with the Vodafone router THG3000.   I have read on some forums that this particular vodafone router does not have mesh capability. 

The vodafone router has no mesh capability.  

Further to my post above,  in February 2020, binned the THG3000 off and replaced it with a Draytek Vigor 130 modem and a Linksys MR8300 triband mesh router (a velop device in a traditional four port wifi router config).  It all works faultlessly in every corner of our house and gardens.

With the VF router, I had to set up my primary mesh node in 'bridge mode' which effectively turn off its router functionality and made it the 'bridge' between the mesh network and the non mesh VF THG3000.  I imagine that would be the same with any other mesh system hooked onto a non mesh router.  To get the best from them, the primary node needs to be the active router.