cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can I use Vodafone Router with Google WiFi?

gurmukh
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I see that you can purchase the Google Wifi hubs directly from Vodafone.

What I'd like to do is disable the wireless and DHCP on the router and then let the Google WiFi handle the DHCP and Wireless signal.

Is this possible? There doesn't seem to be any help online as to how to do this.

Thanks!

21 REPLIES 21

@Joe wrote:

@pault2739 Hi there, you can disable the Wireless function on the Vodafone router by pressing the button on the side of the router for about 5 seconds and this should disable the Wi-Fi. If you the plug the Google hub in via the Ethernet it should connect and you can then run the Wi-Fi with that. As long as you don't have any other devices connected to the Ethernet you shouldn't have any issues with this set up. Joe

Hi Joe,

Sorry for digging up this old thread but i'm thinking of getting google wifi too, and i had a follow up question. It's imperative I have the other ethernet ports working if I install the google wifi nodes. Can you advise why the other ethernet ports in use will affect the google wifi? I thought that as long as the vodafone router modem had dchp enabled everything would be fine, no?

Thanks.

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @thelondonguy, thanks for getting back in touch. I've taken a look into this and found some information on the Google WiFi Whole Home System site.

It looks like it depends on how many units you want to have around the house. If it's just the one, which is connected via Ethernet; you can link other things via Ethernet too. Once you start adding more in different rooms, it can affect some of the functions of the Google WiFi.

If you’re creating a mesh network with multiple Wi-Fi points, your Primary Wi-Fi point cannot be in Bridge mode. This is because the Primary Wifi point needs to do special things to set up the mesh, control settings, and enable communication within your Wi-Fi network. If it’s in bridge mode, you’ll lose some of Google Wifi’s key features.

You can find more information on their website here. I hope that helps, as I've struggled to explain that and break it down; so apologies 😂