Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can VODAFONE help me with this?

Joblacksmith
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I am signing up for Vodafone broadband service and it says Vodafone will deal with my current provider and I don't need to do anything else (meaning Vodafone will help me with cancelling my current contract)

However, "my" account with the current provider is under someone else's name (in my family).

I wonder if I can still leave everything to Vodafone, or we will have to cancel the current contract 1st? 

I have 2 Vodafone contracts, so I like to have the broadband thing under my name too, since I like Vodafone very much, and it's easier to sort out billing things. 

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Due to the other Broadband Account being in someone else's name that would cause an issue i think due to the other Broadband Company only allowing the Account holder to cancel @Joblacksmith and then Vodafone would only open up a new Broadband connection under the original account holders name of the other companies Broadband account.

I think it would be cleaner to open up a new connection with Vodafone.

The Vodafone Social Media Team's via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries can officially clarify.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

If that's the case then I think I'll wait until the current broadband contract expires, then I'd sign up for Vodafone one. 

Thanks

That would be my avenue too @Joblacksmith 

You're very welcome. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @Joblacksmith 

I notice your reply mentioned you were planning to wait until the current broadband contract expired.  

The problem you are going to have is contracts don't expire, they continue running on a month to month basis until the account holder contacts the company and arranges cancellation or a move to an alternative provider.  Also, Vodafone would be unable to set up a new home phone or broadband connection when there is an existing line in another name.

In your case, it would well be worth asking the help of the account holder, if you were a Vodafone customer, the route to go would be to change ownership, this would give you control of the existing broadband contract and you would be free to contact Vodafone when you are ready to make the change.

With you already being a Vodafone customer, Vodafone will be able to apply a discount when you take out a broadband contract.

Thank you very much, but the change of ownership thing requires a lot of paperwork. 

And I don't like doing paperwork at all.

I'll wait until its expiration day and make a simple phone call to terminate the contract instead.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@Joblacksmith wrote:

I'll wait until its expiration day and make a simple phone call to terminate the contract instead.

There will almost certainly be a 30 day notice period so do it 1 month before.

Also there will also be some downtime whilst the current marker is removed from the line before you can take on a new provider. I think change of ownership will be less hassle and no chance of loosing access for awhile.

AnnS

Hi @Joblacksmith 

It's very simple, as an example this is Vodafone's form for submission :  Transferring Agreement 

The Broadband provider should have their own form and procedure but as you can see, it's very simple and all done online.   When authorised by the account holder, you will only need to accept the agreement into your name, the only thing to bear in mind there may well be some identity and credit check.  The other alternativate is to ask the account holder to simply cancel.

When the broadband contract is in your name or cancelled it will then be your decision when to have your home broadband with Vodafone. 

Edited to add. Go the change of ownership route if possible.  Once Cancelled there is always the possibility of the line being taken.

Thanks,

I  have sent off the request to change ownership of the account.

It may take a while for the request to be fully processed. Until then, I can only wait.