Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can't Access FTP Over VPN

atmoore81
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I need to upload files to a web server using FTP.  I need to use a VPN (Tunnel Blick) to connect to the server.

The problem is that when I try to do this using my Vodafone broadband I get these errors:

Connection attempt failed with "EAI_NONAME - Neither nodename nor servname provided, or not known".
Error:         Could not connect to server

I have tried using 2 different vodafone broadband accounts/routers and the issue is the same.

If I switch to any other broadband network or my mobile 4g I have no problems and can connect successfully.

I am using the Vox3.0 router.

Any ideas?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Struggling to process what your situation is completely, but to me sounds like a DNS issue if you're connecting to a host name.

Alter the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and try again.

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are trying to connect to ftp.fred.com then just try using fred.com and make sure you are using the correct port number.

The error is usually caused by the method used to manage host resolution on the system you are connecting to.

I am not using ftp. before the domain name. 

The ftp credentials work when I try connecting over other broadband connections but just not Vodafone. It also works over my mobile 4g. At the moment I am having to connect to my 4g hotspot any time I need to connect to this server. 

I can connect to other ftp servers without issue.  It is just this one that needs to go through a VPN that isn’t working over Vodafone. 

Are there any settings in the router that would be preventing this from working?

Struggling to process what your situation is completely, but to me sounds like a DNS issue if you're connecting to a host name.

Alter the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and try again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's the resolution within the network thats the issue, and I posted my answer late night so just as a thought what I'd suggested probably won't work, because I suggested a web facing name.  So the internal domain structuring could well be different so the internal addressing could be service.servername.localdomainname 

I switched dns to 8.8.8.8 and this sorted it :Smiling: