cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can't connect 4g sim to netgear nighthawk router? APN settings?

joeym90
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have just purchased a Vodafone pay and go sim with date to test the coverage etc in my area however I cannot get my netgear nighthawk mobile router to connect to it. i have gone into settings and selected Vodafone but it just won't connect. I have previously been using it with a three sim which worked fine when i went into settings and changed the apn.

Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this so that it will connect? I have activated the sim in my phone and have had it working.

5 REPLIES 5

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately I'd already tried this and have tried again. It wont seem to connect with those settings, I did the same with three and it worked straight away although the vodafone settings seem to be longer.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @joeym90! The settings @Anonymous has sent over should do the trick when connecting the SIM to another device. To keep them in the same thread, these would be as follows:

• APN: wap.vodafone.co.uk (if on Contract) / pp.vodafone.co.uk (if on PAYG)
  • APN: wap.vodafone.co.uk (Contract) /pp.vodafone.co.uk (PAYG)
  • Username: wap
  • Password: wap
  • MMSC: http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms
  • MMS Proxy: 212.183.137.012
  • MMS Port: 8799
  • MCC (Country Code): 234
  • MNC (Network Code): 15
  • Authentication Type: None
  • APN Type: Default
  • Bearer: Unspecified

As we're currently in the process of merging both APN settings, have you tried wap.vodafone.co.uk? 

If you're still having any issues after giving this a try and the SIM is working correctly when in your phone, it may be worth speaking with the manufacturer for additional support.

While it's possible to access our speedy network through devices not provided by us, we're unable to guarantee this will connect successfully. The manufacturer will be able to run through any further steps to help with getting this up and running for you 🤞

I'm also having trouble setting up a Netgear Nighthawk M2 (MR2100) with a pay as you go sim.

The SIM is in and working on the pp.vodafone.co.uk APN it would appear, connects to B20 on cell tower 1890334, and I seem to have data going in both directions, I'm able to browse social media sites. But when I try and connect to some services which work with other carriers and the same MIFI, I get failure to connect messages. Are there any additional settings I need on the APN? The only setting I can change in the router or its companion app are the name, APN, authentification (username and password) and set the PDP type and PDP roaming (both default to IPv4).

We're using the Mifi to test which SIM provider provides the best upload speed for our 15 racecourses so we can start livestreaming as a response to Covid-19. I've had no issues using the EE, Three, and o2 SIMs in this MIFI with the ookla speedtest app on a iphone 11 Pro. The SIMs will eventually be used in Huawei B535-232 and/or Huawei E8372-153 routers with a LiveU unit to provide bonded streaming encoding across 4 or 6 SIMs.

GemmaP
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @Defnas 

You can check the signal in your area using our network checker here

There may also be some work or maintenance going on which could be affecting your signal.

You can also try the following APN settings to see if it makes a difference - 

APN - wap.vodafone.co.uk

Username - wap

Password - wap

If you'd like us to take a closer look at the network in your area for you, drop us a message here with your postcode 😊