Ask

Solution

Anonymous
Not applicable
33 REPLIES 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you can use your own router!

The most challenging part is getting the CORRECT username and password from Vodafone the username being in the format dsl0000123456 '@broadband.vodafone.co.uk'

The only hurdle is passing the VLAN ID from the router to the ONT (PON/Modem call it what you want).

On the RT-AC86U the way you are going to do this is from LAN > IPTV tab select the "manual" profile and set the VLAN ID to 911 (for Milton Keynes).

*I'm on Teeside, and due to get Vodafone/Cityfibre within the next year, but the RT-AC86U I know like the back of my hand!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are plenty of people on the forums who've done it already.  Once you've connected the ONT to the router using an ethernet cable, set up a PPPOE connection and set the VLAN via the IPTV page it should work.  The only routers that are not going to work are those without the ability to somehow setup the VLAN ID.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just curious as to if you ended up changing to Gigafast and how your experience is so far..?

I am in a similar position where I’ve been with a slow but reliable bt for as long as I can remember but have booked myself in to get the 900mbps package from Vodafone cityfibre in Aberdeen! 

im currently using an ASUS dsl-ac68u for my bt connection and was wondering if the new install by Vodafone has a built in modem?  As the router I’m using is obviously a combo modem/router and would be inclined to changed to the RT model of ASUS routers as they’re a bit newer. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here, there are still legal arguments on the new build site over who owns the infrastructure the builders put in place as a part of the contract that should have meant FTTH being installed but wasn't - resulting in we are probably last on the list to get FTTP until the issue is sorted :Sad_face:

A new Gigafast install will come with Vodafone's THG3000 router as standard.  For plain old browsing over WiFi on devices close to the router, this should work fine.  The WiFi range is not going to be the same as your existing router though, which is especially troublesome if you are in an area where houses are built from granite blocks!

It's worth mentioning that if you ditch the VF router, while you could use your existing router, by doing so you will lose the built in SIP-VOIP on the VF device.

Thanks for the reply Keith!

that’s annoying to hear about the build site problems. Luckily for me cityfibre is the only one doing fttp in my area so hopefully the install by Kelly communications goes smoothly next week!

Im sure my current router can have VOIP enabled through its settings..? Would this mean no home phone line?

Living in an old house with very thick granite walls I think I’ll definitely need to use a third party router unfortunately. 

do you know if the Vodafone router has a built in modem or does it just plug straight in like an Ethernet cable?

id be interested to upgrade to a router that can handle wifi 6 to futureproof my connections. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Depending on the build you'll either get an ONT or recently a number of people have received what's called a PON.  If you call them a modem there are people here who will get annoyed!  Basically, they take an optical cable input, filter it down to just your connection, and output over an Ethernet connection - so no modem needed, and you can plug the ethernet cable from that box directly into your router.

If you don't use the VF supplied router then in order to use the phone line that comes with your service you'll need to prise the info out of the Gigafast support team, along with the connection details for the internet service.  With the SIP-VOIP details and your existing router, you'd then either need an adapter or a SIP capable phone.

As for distance, there is no way on this planet you are going to get the range/signal-strength from the supplied router that your DSL-AC68U can manage.

If you have Wifi issues within the property due to its construction, that's probably a different conversation (new thread maybe).

I've just had Gigifast installed at my property in Aberdeen, I also have a Asus RT-AX88U and I've just been told by support that I cannot connect 3rd party equipment to the service, I was even given my dsl login details earlier in the evening. and I changed the IPTV internet vlan to 911 I was told its only Milton Keynes that can connect 3rd party routers! that's disappointing the Asus router is a £300 brick now!