Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cannot change WIFI channel

Xan9
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

How do I change the WiFi channel for the 5ghz range?

It seems to be automatically selecting the same channel as another nearby router with similar dBm causing significant ping spikes from router to device.

32 REPLIES 32

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Assuming you are talking about the Vodafone routers, you can't.

Vodafone have removed the option.

Was it removed deliberately, if so do you know why?

Seems silly to remove a feature that can fix significant problems with their service. Average RTT to my router 5 metres away is now 45ms which is roughly the same RTT to US east coast and back.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the wonderful world of Vodafone broadband!

It appears to have been done to simplify support by preventing users from tinkering with their settings.  The reality is that for far too many users it just breaks the WiFi!

That's disappointing I've come to expect this though. I'll be sure to avoid cheap broadband providers in the future. Makes sense now; they cut costs by recruiting cheap staff to reduce the cost to the consumer and I was silly enough to buy into it. 

Jayach

@Xan9 wrote:

Makes sense now; they cut costs by recruiting cheap staff to reduce the cost to the consumer and I was silly enough to buy into it. 

Many of us did the same. To be honest the broadband isn't too bad when it's working, but it's hell when you need support because there simply isn't any.

Fortunately if the biggest problem you have is the inability to change WiFi channel then they will happily supply your credentials so you can use your own modem/router.

I don't think it's that big of an issue on it's own but I've had other problems prior to this.

Good to know that they'll supply the credentials though I suppose that's something. Looks like there's yet another branded, working router to pile on the ever-growing pile of routers.

Jayach

Deleted

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

This is one of the existing threads on this @Xan9 

Broadband-connection/WIFI-CHANNEL-CHANGE. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I can see they have still not fixed the issue, unfortunately my router sometimes selects channel 8, which is useless in my property.   Turning it off and on, stays at 8, so have to factory reset the router.

Vodafone is the only company that I have seen that disables change channel number, even expert mode.

As Vodafone forum seems not to be working I recommend we email the ceo https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/vodafone-contact-uk-how-make-complaint-customer-s...  

ashmed.essam @ vodafone.com

The more people that do it, we might get somewhere.