Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Compatible Mesh WiFi

CEB5000
4: Newbie

Hi, I recently bought the Eero Mesh WiFi system to extend the coverage of the THG3000 router. To avoid a ‘Double Nat’ situation I think my only option is to put the Eero in bridge mode, since the VF router does not have that functionality (bridge mode). This essentially turns the Eero nodes into wireless extenders and loses the smart features. If I proceed with this, will I also lose all the control features of the THG3000? Seriously considering returning the Eero, but before I do has anyone any recommendations?

14 REPLIES 14

The Vodafone THG3000 now replaced with the Fritz modem/router and mesh repeater. Easy to set up and so far I am impressed. Although speeds are the same, I now have a strong and very stable connection throughout the house. The software/app/user interface is a huge improvement.

Hey - so I already had a Linksys Velop system and struggled initially to get it setup but I'm pleased to report that it's now working and I have removed the Vodafone router.

The key part was being able to find out the VLAN number and include this when running through the setup.

I did have to get the username and password for the account from an online web chat team - but they provided it after advising they didn't recommend it... without that VLAN number, my initial setup didn't work.... once I entered that, it's running great

Thanks JSteve303, but it's the VOIP bit that is the problem.    I need to find someone who has managed to get the VOIP aspect working on their own hardware and so far haven't.

Removing the Vodafone router does not seem to be a problem for the internet/wifi side of things, but getting the full profile details out of Vodafone for the VOIP is an entirely different matter!   It's difficult for them to argue it is a VOIP service if you can't use your own VOIP hardware for it.

Well, I've ditched their router completely and they can stick their phone service as far as I'm concerned. I'll just use sipgate, doesn't cost a lot. 

It's a small price to pay to be able to use your own router equipment, I've gone from being able to only being able to have a few concurrent connections, to thousands, without lag. Using a UniFi USG, Unifi Cloud Key, UniFi 8 Port 60W POE Switch which powers the 3x UniFi AC HD's access points I have scattered throughout my home. 

Using good equipment not only performs better with FTTP but also brings important features such as Deep Packet Inspection which can identify what applications are consuming your bandwidth in real time and historic data, which WIFI/LAN clients are using what bandwidth in real time with options to throttle, but a heap of other things too. No doubt these internet providers use DPI on us! 

cca054a8-c993-4959-90ea-600c34d375d8.png

Haha, you have a very similar set up to my current network shopping list which is also Unify-based.  I'm aiming for UDM Pro and adding some Unify Protect CCTV cameras.

What are Vodafone like if you try to transfer your number to Sipgate (or another VOIP provider?  My current number is my original landline number which then got moved across to Vodafone when the gigafast fibre service became available, but I seem to recall some horror stories on this forum about trying to get your 'landline' number switched away from Vodafone.  Something about requiring the whole package to be cancelled and then apply for a new connection?  Surely I must have read that incorrectly - do you (or anyone else) have any experience of keeping the fibre connection but moving the tel number away to another VOIP provider?