main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Devices disconnecting regularly

9: Established

Sorry... I missed this one.

I really have no conspiracy theories or paranoia - I simply think the VF router is substandard.

I suppose any 'misbehaving' device on the network could cause problems but why would that manifest itself only after switching to Vodafone?  As I have said... the only difference between the exchange and my network is the router...

View more options
14: Advanced member

@HappyNomad Appoligies if you thought I was refering to you when I mentioned reverting to conspiracy theories and paranoia.  The VF router is a complete and utter disaster.  What I was actually trying to do was get the Tech guys on here to justify what they were telling you to do, because while I'm aware of the Proofs Of Concept that they appear to be alluding to, the odds of those reasons being true are probably smaller than my getting a seat on the first Virgin space tourism flight!

It's just that the first line of attack always seems to be: "Have you tried splitting the SSIDs", shortly followed by: "you may be overloading the router, you need to unplug your network switch", which is all a bit rich when you actaually missdialed and were trying to get advice from the vet about your cat having fleas!

View more options
2: Seeker

en particulier si les SSID ont été scindés, par opposition au transfert de bande standard (SSID commun) géré par le routeur en fonction de la force du signal sur une bande donnée.

View more options

Keith

No apology necessary, I didn't for a moment think it was aimed at me.   Overloading a router purportedly designed for a home network with a.... wait for  it... home network is also laughable.  It hasn't been suggested to me by VF (yet).

Somebody has suggest I use the VF router as a DHCP server -WiFi off - along with my redundant but perfectly serviceable EE Brightbox2 as the router.  Whilst clearly well intentioned, I hardly see that as a solution.  It may definitively prove that the VF device is not fit for purpose through poor design, poor firmware or perhaps just a fault with this particular device but as a solution? 

The thought of reconnecting all of my Wifi devices to another router is not one I relish particularly.  My son has VF and has no problems - oddly enough his network pretty much mirrors mine but perhaps to a smaller scale:  

Him /(me). Items marked * are only switched when in use, otherwise powered off)

1 /(1) WiFi extender

2 /(2) Smartphones

2 /(2) Tablets

1 /(5) Echo devices

1 /(0) Sonos device (I think just one device of a system actually connects to wifi)

2 /(1) Smart TV 

0 /(1) Smart TV (wired/switch)

1 /(0) Sky Q

0 /(1) Humax Freesat (wired/switch)

1 /(1) Hue Bridge (wired - him router, me switch)

1 /(1) Hive Hub  (wired - him router, me switch)

1/(0) Apple Laptop 

0 /(1) *Samsung Laptop (wired/switch)

1/(0) Inkjet Wireless / Air printer

0 /(1) *Laser Wired/Wireless/Air Printer (wired/switch or wifi depending on print client)

0/(1) *NAS (wired/switch)

I have probably missed something off somewhere.  My next option may be too disable the now seperate 5gHz band and see what happens.  

View more options

@HappyNomad Sorry I wasn't clear on the previous post, it missed a section of text   Some devices such as the Hive and the Hue, sometimes have base stations that assign the various devices connected an IP address internal to the device connected to the switch. (I had the same issue with by Sonos One speakers) If the range is the same as the Vodafone routers then it can cause an issue(I changed the Sonos to a reserved IP range higher up that would never be used) Please let us know how you get on, if you want to try to configure your other device let us know and we'll get you your username and password for login. Joe

View more options

Has my original reply to you been deleted... I'm sure I said that while SONOS may be TCP/IP based, neither Hue nor Hive are.  Apart from their respective bridge (Hue) and Hub (Hive) their is no network crossover.  The two devices are simply network clients that get a single IP address each from the VF router's DHCP server.

Patience wearing thin...  from a few minutes ago...
Event log
Date Time Log details Category
03.01.2019 13:04:21 User sucessfully logged in to UI from LAN System
03.01.2019 13:03:49 Wi-Fi client iPad (70:a2:b3:ec:09:xx) connected with IP address 192.168.1.4 LAN
03.01.2019 13:03:44 Wi-Fi client iPad (70:a2:b3:ec:09:xx) disconnected with IP address 192.168.1.4 LAN
03.01.2019 13:00:18 WLAN enabled, device type: Main, SSID: VodafoneConnect34595327, band: 5ghz LAN
03.01.2019 13:00:14 WLAN disabled, device type: Main, SSID: VodafoneConnect34595327, band: 5ghz LAN
03.01.2019 12:59:19 Wi-Fi client iPad (70:a2:b3:ec:09:xx) connected with IP address 192.168.1.4 LAN
03.01.2019 12:59:14 Wi-Fi client iPad (70:a2:b3:ec:09:xx) disconnected with IP address 192.168.1.4 LAN
03.01.2019 12:57:39 Wi-Fi client iPad (70:a2:b3:ec:09:xx) connected with IP address 192.168.1.4 LAN
03.01.2019 12:57:33 Wi-Fi client iPad (70:a2:b3:ec:09:xx) disconnected with IP address 192.168.1.4

mac address edited to keep forum software happy...

View more options

Just a thought @HappyNomad but does your SONOS setup connect to a SONOS wireless bridge device? If so, could your test with this disconnected?

Blair

View more options

@Blair...

I don't have a Sonos system.  

My son does but as far as I can tell, he has no problem with it.

View more options
4: Newbie

@Blair why is it that when the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks are combined we get the disconnecting issue, yet when they work separately the issue seems to improve significantly? Are there any plans to release new firmware to improve the situation?

View more options

@HappyNomad This is really strange, we'd have to have a look at your router and connection. I've sent you a private message on how to get in touch. Joe

View more options

@richyboy1980 Hi there, honestly there's a lot of things that may cause this issue from wireless interference to the channels that the router has assigned the automatic connection to. At present we're not aware of any new firmware launch but our third line team are constantly reviewing it. Joe

View more options

Cheers Joe.

After just 5 weeks with Vodafone... five weeks of unsatisfactory service I have been told it will cost me in excess of £200 by way of an exit fee.  You just have to love this stuff eh.

I light of that little bombshell I have agreed to try a new router which was delivered today (very fast from agreed to delivered).  That is now up and running without any issue or delay with wired and wifi networked devices exactly as they were.

I have taken the liberty of separating the SSIDs, selecting channel 6 (2.4GHz) and changing the DNS server to 4444/8888.  I can't remember any other changes VF first line had me make with the last router.   It is now a case of watch this space. 

View more options
4: Newbie

Could you enlighten us as to what could possibly cause devices to randomly disconnect from the VF router? A cursory google search doesn’t particularly give any answers

View more options

The New router installed earlier today... not looking good.

• 08.01.2019 19:57:31 Wi-Fi client iPad (70:a2:b3:ec:09:8x) connected with IP address 192.168.1.3 LAN
  • 08.01.2019 19:57:26 Wi-Fi client iPad (70:a2:b3:ec:09:8x) disconnected with IP address 192.168.1.3 LAN
  • 08.01.2019 19:56:56 Wi-Fi client iPad (70:a2:b3:ec:09:8x) connected with IP address 192.168.1.3 LAN
  • 08.01.2019 19:56:51 Wi-Fi client iPad (70:a2:b3:ec:09:8x) disconnected with IP address 192.168.1.3

One device three metres from router and not moving around at all,  two disconnects and two reconnects in the space of just forty seconds.  This behaviour is not limited to a single device and wired connections never disconnect /reconnect randomly like wifi connections do.

We could look at the 5GHz band randomly being disabled and then re-enabled just four or five seconds later.

• 08.01.2019 19:58:30 WLAN enabled, device type: Main, SSID: VodafoneConnect35214202, band: 5ghz LAN
  • 08.01.2019 19:58:26 WLAN disabled, device type: Main, SSID: VodafoneConnect35214202, band: 5ghz
  • 08.01.2019 18:45:30 WLAN enabled, device type: Main, SSID: VodafoneConnect35214202, band: 5ghz LAN
  • 08.01.2019 18:45:25 WLAN disabled, device type: Main, SSID: VodafoneConnect35214202, band: 5ghz
  • 08.01.2019 17:43:04 WLAN enabled, device type: Main, SSID: VodafoneConnect35214202, band: 5ghz LAN
  • 08.01.2019 17:42:59 WLAN disabled, device type: Main, SSID: VodafoneConnect35214202, band: 5ghz

These are not simply one off examples copied from the event log.  They are mirroring exactly the behaviour of the previous router though.  It would be nice to be told why this stuff is happening instead of being told that I am getting better than the minimum guaranteed sync speed whenever I raise the issue of wifi dropouts.

View more options
13: Advanced Member

@HappyNomad

To many active Wifi devices will cause the Vodafone router's Wifi chip to overheat and stop working properly. Well know problem!

View more options

@HappyNomad

To many active Wifi devices will cause the Vodafone router's Wifi chip to overheat and stop working properly. Well know problem!

Cheers Machare

You must be wrong about that... the corporate line is that 'our router is a perfectly fine piece of kit, your own devices are causing all the problems but you are getting better than the minimum guaranteed sync speed so all is fine and dandy.  Have a nice day and by the way, have you split the SSIDs yet?'   

(I appreciate that the support people really want to help but their efforts are hampered by a substandard modem - they must find it as frustrating as everybody else).

You sort of confirm that Vodafone, by virtue of the equipment it provides, is unable to deliver the quality of service one should reasonably expect.  I for one really didnt choose Vodafone Superfast2 so I could have a one device wifi network and pick up my email without melting the router.  I sort of wanted it to run the home network that had, for the last almost three years, been running perfectly well with the same FTTC, the same copper wires into the house and the same devices in the home network (the only thing physically different is the router).

Is there anything positive to read about VF?  any good outcomes or glowing praises?

View more options

@Joe

private message sent.

View more options

Thanks @HappyNomad, one of the team will be in touch. 

View more options

@HappyNomad

I now have the Vodafone Router's WiFi switched off.  It is doing duty as the modem,  dhcp server and wired network manager via an 8 port Linksys network switch.   There are 7 wired devices of which four are permanently connected and three only powered up and used as required.  

Managing my WiFi network of twelve devices I have my Brightbox 2 connected via wire to the VF Router.   The Brightbox 2  is nowhere near the cutting edge of modem/router technology but guess what... I have enjoyed the sheer luxury of not a single WiFi dropout in twenty four hours.  What does that suggest or confirm I wonder?

The VF router appears to handle the wired network flawlessly but there is no reason to suppose it shouldn't really.  When the Brightbox 2 was my only modem/router it handled both the very same wired and Wifi networks for two and a half years without a single hiccough.

Unfortunately though, even though it is all working well,  I don't regard hooking up an EE supplied and branded router to the VF device as an acceptable or long term solution.  VF are selling the service and VF should be making it work properly.  That is my simple view although I am not sure that it can happen with the router they are supplying.  I have now had two of the VF devices in my six weeks with them and both have demonstrated exactly the same WiFi shortcoming. 

Hopefully a mutually agreeable solution can be found.

View more options
14: Advanced member

There are problems with double NAT which might pop up!  One is that if you have any devices on the BB2 that need to open external ports, they won't work!  So that could be games, various smart devices, or servers.  You'll also find that devices plugged into the ports on the VF router and those connected to the BB2  won't be able to communicated with each other!

And yup the VF router is a disaster!

View more options