Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Draytek Vigor 130 and gigafast?

chocomocco
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

We've got Gigafast and the VCNT-I vodafone hub. Wifi is pretty rubbish and we're looking to replace with something better. I'm only a tech novice so not 100% sure what we're looking at although it seems sensible to buy a separate modem and router to give us flexibility in the future.

Now... looking on the forums here, I've seen lots of mentions of the Draytek Vigor 130 but when I look at the back of our Vodafone hub, the WAN is an ethernet connection, but the Vigor 130 has an RJ11. I'm therefore not so sure we can connect the Vigor 130 to our fibre box. Am I looking at the right modem for Gigafast? If not, any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping to just use the existing cable and simply swap out the hub (the fibre box is behind some furniture so is a bit of a pain to get to).

The router is probably less of an issue, we're planning on getting an Asus RT-AC86U.

EDIT: We would also be happy to consider a router/modem combo. We were looking at the TP-Link Archer VR2800. It appears to have an ethernet LAN/WAN port. We have our username and password from Vodafone but liked the potential plug-and-play offered by the Draytek avoiding VLAN IDs and such (zero clue about any of this!)

14 REPLIES 14

Jayach
16: Advanced member

You do not need a modem for FTTP. Your choice of router will connect directly to the fibre box using the same Ethernet cable as the Vodafone router. You will need you username and password from Vodafone.

Edit, I posted before you added the edit to say you have your username an password.

Oh my goodness, I did say I was a tech newbie. All this new-fangled technology!!!

Great. So we can just buy the ASUS RT-AC86U and plug it in with the existing ethernet. Well, that's a brilliant solution. Will get on and order one. I've been reading the forums for a couple of days trying to get my head around it all, so had done a chat to get our login details (obviously no clue if they're correct but they do follow the required format).

Thanks so much, that's so helpful

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are going to go down the Asus route, then personally I'd probably get the RT-AX68U over the RT-AC86U.

I have an RT-AC86U, and its a great router, but it does get hot enough that I have a silent USB powered fan plugged into mine to cool it.

temps.png

With the cooler on!

Thanks for the heads up on the USB fan. Will purchase one as I've already ordered the router, luckily our dining room is pretty cool and it won't be in direct sunlight. It arrives tomorrow and we're pretty excited.

Jayach

I'll be interested on how you think the WiFi on the Asus compares with the THG3000 as I don't find it too bad. Fortunately most of my devices can use the 5Ghz channel and I think that works much better than the 2.4Ghz on the THG3000.

I'll let you know Jayach. Should have the router today so (hopefully) will be set up tonight. Not looking forward to changing all the WiFi details on our many devices but the real test will be next week when my husband is back doing zoom calls.

I think we suffer from a mix of too many devices, thick walls and generally being in an area congested with WiFi routers. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rather than changing all the devices, you can always set up the WiFi SSID & PW on the new router to mimic those on the old router!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Modems are for xDSL SuperFast 1&2.  No modem is required for Gigafast!

With Gigafast the optical cable is terminated with either an ONT (which will require you to be able to express a VLan ID on the router WAN port, or a (G)PON which often just plugs straight into the WAN port - no VLan ID required!

On Asus routers, you currently have to use the IPTV settings to express a VLan ID value on the WAN port, and you'll also need to get the service Username (which Vodafone get wrong or forget the @ broadband.vodafone.co.uk part of far too often) and password.

Thanks Keith. Too many products and too many newbies like myself attempting to improve our rather rubbish wifi without having much of a clue about what we have and what we need!

I've seen some stuff about VLAN IDs on here (possibly 911 might be the magic number, but I had seen 101 mentioned??). Anyway, how wrong can it go?? Off to order the Asus router, collection tomorrow... watch this space!