Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Draytek Vigor 130 and gigafast?

chocomocco
2: Seeker

We've got Gigafast and the VCNT-I vodafone hub. Wifi is pretty rubbish and we're looking to replace with something better. I'm only a tech novice so not 100% sure what we're looking at although it seems sensible to buy a separate modem and router to give us flexibility in the future.

Now... looking on the forums here, I've seen lots of mentions of the Draytek Vigor 130 but when I look at the back of our Vodafone hub, the WAN is an ethernet connection, but the Vigor 130 has an RJ11. I'm therefore not so sure we can connect the Vigor 130 to our fibre box. Am I looking at the right modem for Gigafast? If not, any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping to just use the existing cable and simply swap out the hub (the fibre box is behind some furniture so is a bit of a pain to get to).

The router is probably less of an issue, we're planning on getting an Asus RT-AC86U.

EDIT: We would also be happy to consider a router/modem combo. We were looking at the TP-Link Archer VR2800. It appears to have an ethernet LAN/WAN port. We have our username and password from Vodafone but liked the potential plug-and-play offered by the Draytek avoiding VLAN IDs and such (zero clue about any of this!)

14 REPLIES 14

chocomocco

I have done it!!!! It's connected and working. Thank you, thank you, thank you... was a bit hair-raising as we'd lost 4G here so I was trying to find out where to find the vlan id bit via a mobile connection slower than 3G. But I found it, the WAN light went from red to white and here I am. Took less than 30mins and that's with the dodgy mobile connection and moving the furniture.

911 was the magic number and it turns out Vodafone did give me the correct login info. Huge thanks to KeithAlger for previous screenshot posting elsewhere on this forum.

I've left the 2.5GHz and 5GHz combined for now but I get a strong signal downstairs and currently have a medium signal in the bedroom, prior I would struggle and my mobile would switch to 4G. Websites seem to be loading really fast too. Using the simple adaptive QoS for now but might investigate the other options to prioritise my husband's laptop when we're at home in the holidays and he's working.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

It's always nice to hear of a success story. Congratulations.

chocomocco

Reviving this thread to say that we are still absolutely delighted with our purchase of the RT-AC86U and we've just bought the RT-AX56U as an AiMesh node for our cabin in the garden. As expected it was a breeze to set up. Unboxed the RT-AX56U, plugged it in, turned it on and selected AiMesh from the router web interface. It searched, it found it, it connected. I did a firmware update when they were connected and it updated the node. Honestly, we were done and dusted in about 5 mins while my husband dished up dinner!

For anyone looking for a super easy and reliable router, ASUS are the way to go. Sadly for Vodafone, we were thinking we would have to upgrade our package to get the speed we needed, but it was just the rubbish router they supplied.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a quick heads up on the RT-AC86U, it seems they may all not be created equal!  Some of these routers may need additional cooling.  It's a quick and easy fix, but still shouldn't have been necessary!

My own RT-AC86U has been working fine for coming up to 3 years without issue!

Luckily no trouble with ours getting hot, I did hear that they can get warm so I have been checking it. It's in a nice cool spot, out of the sun which might help. We stream a fair bit of TV but I doubt we're pushing the router to the max. I've found some USB fans that attach to the back but haven't yet purchased them.