Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ghost LAN entries

GlassFibre
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

On my THG3000 Vodafone router software, there are entries of wired computers that are no longer connected to my LAN.

Is there a way of removing them and why are they still showing a week or so after they were physically diconnected from the network?

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Those entries are not doing any harm being there.  It's not uncommon that a router will keep this kind of info until it's either reset or issues the local IP to another device.  That info will not affect the function or performance of the router.

But if you really want to clear it, then resetting the router should do it!

I accept that these entries may be doing no harm but no other router/modem I have ever used over the past 25 years has done this. In fact before, whever a network client was disconnected in real time, the entry would disappear, and I have never had to restart the router/modem to get the the correct number of clients showing.

It makes for poor management of a network especially when used with 20+ clients, so hopefully there will be a fix/update?

@GlassFibre wrote:

I accept that these entries may be doing no harm but no other router/modem I have ever used over the past 25 years has done this. In fact before, whever a network client was disconnected in real time, the entry would disappear, and I have never had to restart the router/modem to get the the correct number of clients showing.

It makes for poor management of a network especially when used with 20+ clients, so hopefully there will be a fix/update?

Can't see an update to fix something that doesn't generally cause a problem, either service wise or for the majority of users happening soon.  I believe both the current and the previous models of router exhibited the same retention of disconnected devices.

My Linksys router also remembers disconnected devices - it reports in two groups, online devices and offline devices.  It causes me no problem.  Aren't the Vodafone disconnected devices shown in greyed out text?

The only greyed out entries are those clients that have moved from being wired to wireless and vice versa.

Not to worry though I can live with this feature.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't worry about the 20+ clients.  The number of clients on most home routers is limited to 253 (ish), and so they are set up for that pretty small pool anyhow.

Some of the info you'll see on here regards the small number of clients the VF router can handle is complete and utter nonsense.  The router may be a festering pile of poo in many ways but client numbers and the insane fetish of getting people to split the SSIDs are nonsense.

For the record, it looks like I've had 62 individual clients connected to the network through my Asus router since it's last full reset, and it's working fine.