Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigafast - 3rd party routers that support a phone

jay_uk1
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Which 3rd party routers will will allow a phone to be connected and function in the same way as the supplied Vodafone router?

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very few consumer-grade routers have built-in VOIP hardware, so you are left looking at the likes of equipment from Fritzbox, Draytek and similar, OR buying a separate VOIP adapter!  Remember if you go down this path, not only will you need to get your broadband username & password, but you'll need the settings for the VOIP  too!

*An additional word of caution:  Once you get into the realm of business-grade networking, the user interfaces get far less straight forward, so don't expect to be able to just plug and go!  It's one of the reasons I'd personally go with a separate VOIP box!

**As we have CityFibre sniffing around the estate here that may not be too far in the future!

Thanks for the reply. 

I did a bit of research and found that routers with VOIP functions are very expensive.  I did however find this https://www.scan.co.uk/products/cisco-spa107#########-port-phone-adapter  on Scan that I though I may be able to use, but it turns out that Vodfone say if you use your own router you will not be able to use VOIP.  I am taking from this that they will not supply you with the necessary settings for VOIP.

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are users on here who have successfully managed to get the VOIP settings off Vodafone and have their phones working over third party hardware!  I believe you probably have to speak to the Gigafast support as the regular support will not have a clue what you are talking about and so tell you it can't be done!

*With a third-party service provider it's possible to use VOIP with any network connection since it's standards-based!

Hi Keith,

Do you have any examples of these users who have successfully used third party routers with VOIP on gigafast? I can't seem to find any. If I could it might help me get the correct settings. The ones I received from Vodafone don't work.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

That's because there aren't any users who have successfully had this set up. I went hunting via mass research on here and other forums and to date, no one, I mean no one has come forward to say they have managed to make their Gigafast VOIP work without the VF router. Even VF say its not possible as they wont give out the details required. 

DJDanny90000
4: Newbie

You can use your equipment with Vodafone on the gigafast network. Your talking about VoIP on your Vodafone WiFi Hub you plug in to the tell port you plug your landline phone into the Vodafone Router. But if you really want to use your own equipment not only you need your PPPoE username and password but you also you need a VoIP adaptor that plugs into the back of your router with the RJ45 plug. Because most consumer fibre routers don’t have a tell port you need a VoIP adapter. That has a tell port on it and then you plug VoIP Adapter on your own Router and when you have it setup call Vodafone Customer Services on 191 and then they should give you your VoIP settings.

Please beware by using your own equipment you will no longer get full support. If you need help by customer service your expected to plug the Vodafone Hub back in so they can run tests on your FTTP line.