cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigafast 900 Pro - Can I use the Vodafone router in modem only mode with my exist Netgear Orbi's?

AFCBNeil
2: Seeker

Hi, I'm on the verge of leaving virgin Media and signing up for the Gigafast 900 Pro package which is on the CityFibre network in my area (Bournemouth). I already have a decent router and mesh network (Netgear Orbi RBK53 AC3000 Tri-band / 1 router and 2 satellites) which work very well. I'm only moving to Vodafone due to (a) the increased speeds and (b) the reduced cost but want to continue using my existing mesh units if at all possible. 
I have the following questions which I'd be very grateful if someone could help me with:

1) Can I use the Vodafone in a form of 'modem only' mode so that I can continue to use my Orbi's and their Wifi?

2) Will the landline element of the new package still work if the Vodafone router is in 'modem only'?

3) How are the landline phones connected with Vodafone's set up? Do they connect in the box at the front of my house like my current Virgin phone does, with a cable running to a phone socket in my lounge?

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member

No modem only mode but you can use your own router. 

Jayach

But you could use the mesh in Access Point mode (assuming it has it) to utilise it's wi-fi.

The phone connection is VoIP and connects to the Vodafone router. If you use your own router, you will lose the phone service.

Edit: Actually that is not quite true, The service is VoIP, but the connection is RJ11 so you can use your standard BT style phones. In other words the router contains an ATA (Analogue Telephone Adapter).

Ferrari14

Hi - just had Gigafast installed today and the router is awful as expected.

I'm in a similar boat to you where I need the phone line and after doing some reading on here it seems that it isn't possible to get rid of the Vodafone router entirely and still use the phone line (please correct me if I'm wrong).

So it looks like the best option is to set up another router in access point mode (connected via Ethernet to the Vodafone router) and connect devices to that.
Did you manage to get it working?