Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigafast Static IP And Alternative Router

veletron2
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

Gigafast has just arrived at my address in Stirling, thinking of changing but I have a few absolute must-haves that are far far more important to me than the improved speeds:

1) A Static IP

2) OpenVPN

3) Unrestricted manual port-forwarding

4) Phone Line

I am assuming that the VF router is a standard ISP no-frills affair and thus wont offer a VPN Server, or a configurable DHCP server that will allow allocate from a customer-defined block. Are there any 3rd party routers out there that I can use instead of the VF router that will allow me to keep the phone line functionality?

I hear that getting a static IP allocated by VF is frought with issues and I really don't have the time. There does not appear to be a 'Static IP' checkbox on the order page like there was with my current ISP.

Nigel

8 REPLIES 8

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @veletron2, thanks for your feedback on our Gigafast service; we really appreciate any comments. Your best bet for information is to get in touch on: 08080 034 515 and ask to speak to our Gigafast team. They'll be able to talk you through alternative routers and Static IP options. 

geekl33tgamer
4: Newbie

I have it here in Milton Keynes. To answer your questions:

1) You can have a static IPv4 assigned, but it took me almost 7 weeks to get it.

2) You can't run a dedicated VPN off the router, but I use PIA on the PC's and it connects OK.

3) There's no limits on port forwards.

4) Phoneline support hasn't been turned on yet (The router has phoneline sockets to enable this whenever they decide to do it).

On a side note, I'd not bother. Performance is patchy, and speeds for me tank during peak hours 7 days a week. The 810-850MB/Sec or so download speed only really happens in the early hours of the morning, and if you connect your PC via Ethernet (The routers WIFI isn't fast enough). Right now, my thruput is 34MB Down and 830MB/Sec up. It's traffic managed heavily during peak on the downloads and im already going thru the cancellation process.

Hi

Cheers for your message. The 7 week delay in getting a static IP is enough to put me off on its own. I would end up running my existing plusnet service in parallel with it for 2 months!

What are you doing for a landline? My Mrs would not put up with no landline so I would end up running existing line  for xx months in parallel also.

Performance wise, on the £48/900Mbps service, I would expect the headline performance 24/7 for the first 100GB or so of data each month, and traffic management to kick in after that. Not paying that sort of cash for something that at peak times is slower than my existing FTTC!!

Guess I will wait until exclusivity for VF runs out and I can get a service from Plusnet via the new line.

Nigel

Hi Nigel, 

Sorry it's taken a few months to see this. I'm in Stirling myself, I've had gigafast for the past couple of months running my own router with no issues. I've requested a static ip today, so I'll let you know how long it takes. I doubt highly it'll take 7 weeks. Remember MK was the first rollout for City fibre/vodafone, so teething problems were to be expected.

And just to add, there's no traffic management. I can guarentee that. Speeds are good off the vf router (930/930) but as you say, it's quite limited in its feature set.

The only slow down I've experienced is due to the unifi dream machine I've just put in, but that's my fault due to settings or the products getting rma'd - nothing to do with the fibre, the vf routers still got good speeds.

"I've requested a static ip today, so I'll let you know how long it takes. I doubt highly it'll take 7 weeks."

As a new GigaFast user, I'll be interested in how long it takes to get your Static IP actioned; I wasn't even aware it was an option!  Does it cost any extra, either a one off fee or per month?

It's a free add on, and seriously easy to request. 

You just phone up the gigafast team, and say, I'd like to request a static ip please, their reply is a content and cheery okay :Smiling:

It was ordered on Saturday I believe so I'll keep you in the loop (if I go quiet I may have forgotten so feel free to pester me by replying to this post) 

Hi

Since I wrote the original post, I did sign up (back in December). Getting the static IP was hassle-free, just took a phone call. Getting my password for inputting into my own router also hassle free via same phone call. Speed and reliability has been pretty good. I went for the 500Mbit option as it was £28/Month on offer when I signed up. I am using this with an Asus RT-AX88U and its been fine, OpenVPN working well.

Re. replacing the VF router - is it simply a case of connecting a new router to the ONT, entering your username and password ans off you go? I'm thinking of installing an AX mesh network?