Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigafast and Copper

Masquerade
4: Newbie

Hello all,

I have been keeping up with the progress of Gigafast since it was first anounced by Cityfibre as I am a resident of Milton Keynes, but unfortunately even though I in the central part of the city they are only starting my road at the end of this month.

Hopefully someone who already has the service will be able to assist me with this query.

Is it possibly to keep your copper line when you have Fibre installed?

The reason I ask and would choose to do so is because we used to get 4 or 5 nuisance calls a day until I activated Talk Sheild (Sky) and for over 2 year now we have had zero nuisance calls and I would ideally like to keep the phone service with Sky just for that reason. I cannot find any information relating to my query, even Voda's FAQ section is limited.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

vectraturbo

ive got sky everthing but internet and  gigajoke internet  they provide a phone number to your acc that runs through the router  but you can still keep sky phone i have done just a shame ive had nothing but trouble with gigajoke  internet  

View solution in original position

23 REPLIES 23

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Masquerade! It'd be best to give our Gigafast team a quick call on 03333 040 191 from a landline (standard call charges apply) or 191 from a Vodafone mobile. They're available between 8am - 9pm, every day of the week. They're also available on Live Chat too if you'd prefer :Smiling:

They'll be able to go through your options for you :Thumbs_Up:

vectraturbo

ive got sky everthing but internet and  gigajoke internet  they provide a phone number to your acc that runs through the router  but you can still keep sky phone i have done just a shame ive had nothing but trouble with gigajoke  internet  

What issues are you experiencing, if you don't mind me asking? 

__graeme

As you might know, Vodafones gigafast service is installed by OpenReach. I'm sure they will let you keep your copper line but the Government want 100% FTTP by 2033, time will tell if that slips. The upshot of this is that OpenReach will want to ditch the copper network asap in any area that is fully converted to FTTP.  Coppers days are numbered.

I believe I am correct in saying that in Milton Keynes - Vodafone Gigafast - is not installed by Open Reach but by City Fibre, my particular physical home installation was carried out by Kelly Communications (doubtless a subcontractor for them). Whether Open Reach manage the telephone exchange through which Vodafone passes, I dont know.

I kept my perfetly functioning BT copper line for a week or so before I  cancelled it. The BT and Vodafone lines now enter the home by seperate conduits, despite being on my land I couldn't persuade the contractors to use the existing one with the BT line.

As an aside  -  the Vodafone phone 'line' is clear, and I'm consistently getting on or just above the quoted mbs, both on uploads and downlads. Something my previous ISP is now charging more for with slower speeds up and down.

Despite what I've read in the Forum - Gigafast Rocks!  

I'd be interested to know what your fibre termination box looks like. It is the same as the OpenReach installation?

I'm glad to hear your Gigafast install is working well. 

Graeme. 

@GlassFibre wrote:

I believe I am correct in saying that in Milton Keynes - Vodafone Gigafast - is not installed by Open Reach but by City Fibre, my particular physical home installation was carried out by Kelly Communications (doubtless a subcontractor for them). Whether Open Reach manage the telephone exchange through which Vodafone passes, I dont know.

I kept my perfetly functioning BT copper line for a week or so before I  cancelled it. The BT and Vodafone lines now enter the home by seperate conduits, despite being on my land I couldn't persuade the contractors to use the existing one with the BT line.

As an aside  -  the Vodafone phone 'line' is clear, and I'm consistently getting on or just above the quoted mbs, both on uploads and downlads. Something my previous ISP is now charging more for with slower speeds up and down.

Despite what I've read in the Forum - Gigafast Rocks!  

Yes, it is CityFibre over here, they use 3rd party contractors for the works. They finished my road and the connecting roads 2 weeks ago. I am now waiting to order as checking on the website doesn't show Gigafast available yet.

I really want the 900MB package, would be interested to see who has that and what actual download/upload speeds are. 

Dabbs
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @GlassFibre, great to hear you're loving your Gigafast connection. Thanks for the amazingg review! Enjoy the speeds 🚀

I have two questions for anyone that can answer them, they are not related to the original topic.

1. For anyone on the 900MB package, what are the real world download/upload speeds? I do not mean speedtests, but actual download/upload of files?

2. How long after having Gigafast installed is it advisable to switch to using your own router? I understand that there is a 'running in' period so to speak while everything settles but I ideally want to use my own TP-Link AX6000.