main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Google Wifi

1: Seeker

I’m in the process of moving house and we have chosen Vodafone Broadband for the new house - this is all up and running, but I am planning on taking my Google WiFi system with me. 

I have a Netgear DM200 modem with it at the moment - am I better using that or Double NAT with the Vodafone Router? How would I setup the DM200? 

Thanks

View more options
8 REPLIES 8
17: Community Champion

You shoule be fine to use your DM200.
Youll need to contact Vodafone for your connection details before you're able to set it up though, the broadband support team should be able to provide these.

View more options
13: Advanced Member

I would expect so. The Vodafone router is not good at maintaining a DSL connection or handing many wifi users.

The DM200 would need VDSL, bridge mode, Vlan 802.1p (priority) =2 and 802.1q=101.

The Google Wifi should be set to PPPoE and you would need to enter your connection userid and password which you will need to get from Vodafone.  When you do this it may help if you choose a router on the BT SIN 498 list and if asked, say that is what you intend to use.

A Windows 10 PC can be configured to connect the DM200 using PPPoE as a method of testing.

View more options
15: Advanced member
View more options
2: Seeker

Did you manage to get this working with Google Wifi?

I setup my Netgear DM200 and it connected to the internet in router mode and updated the firmware. I then switched it to bridge mode (modem only) and it was confirmed that it was still connected to the internet,

I then attempted to connect my google wifi but the google wifi could not connect to the internet and made me go through a rebooting process multiple times.

So just wondered if anyone had managed to set this up correctly?

View more options

@SuperRon08

Connect the normally covered up Wan port of the Vodafone router to the DM200.  If the Vodafone router does not get a connection to the Internet (green light on top) the DM200 is not configured correctly.

View more options
Highlighted
2: Seeker

Do I need to tick the passthrough VLAN button?

View more options

@SuperRon08 wrote:

Do I need to tick the passthrough VLAN button?

If that is on the DM200 I don't know, but does not sound as if you need it.  The Vodafone router just needs to be switched on and will work provided it was previously working when directly connected to phone line.

View more options
1: Seeker

Yeh I got it working no problem. 

I had the DM200 setup with TalkTalk as that is what I used at my last address, I didn’t change a thing on the setup, just plugged it in and put the Ethernet into my Google Wifi. It asked for the PPPoE details on setup for Google WiFi and has worked fine ever since. 

View more options