Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Guaranteed minimum speed - what a lie

mbames
13: Advanced Member

Guaranteed min speed of 35Mbps when I signed up; line syncs at close to 40, but it can only just manage 25Mbps (even when testing against their own speedtest.net server).  Issues has been occuring since late December, so the line has has sufficient time to perform its initial DLM.

Spoken to vf numerous times, they raise it to tech 2, who do some line tests, and then close the ticket as complete.

The phone/tech 1 kept talking about splitting my wifi channels, as but the issues occur on a wired PC that is totally pointless, and shows a general lack of understanding.  However they are quite friendly and more than happy to write/add endless notes to your account.

When I was with Sky (same line), the service was perfect.  Wish I'd never moved as vf are a bunch of clowns in comparison.  My samknows box even reports performance as slow as 13Mbps, where there has been no one in the house, so I suspect that vf's backbone/exchange links are totally saturated.

22 REPLIES 22

daveNOS
4: Newbie

If your lines syncing at 40mbps then you are getting above the minimum guaranteed speed as that speed is the line access speed and not whats reported via speedtests(thats throughput).

The throughput from Vodafone is woeful im stuck on less than 12mbps on a line syncing at 37.1mbps and i have a formal complaint raised regarding it, i have also spoken to a couple of local Openreach engineers who tell me they regularly get called out to Vodafone customers who have very slow speeds even though its not a line fault and they can do nothing for them, both say its purely down to vodafone who need to upgrade their backhaul to cope with the amount of customers who are signing up due to the low price. 

T_Scarface_M
16: Advanced member

Hi @mbames,

If your minimum guaranteed speed is 35Mbps and you're syncing at close to 40Mbps then Tech 2 will not be able to do anything Speed related as you're above your minimum guaranteed speed. So if the ticket is raised as a slow speed then that's likely to happen. 

The care team will likely run through wifi troubleshooting becasue it doesn't seem to be a Sync speed issue. So they will Split SSID and recommend changing WIFI channels etc.

The only thing that should be able to be done is do a single device connected to network via Ethernet and run several different speed tests and see what results you end up getting. 

I would then try calling them back if you feel the speeds at that point are below your expectations then this would be classed as a throughput issue. This type of issue can be raised to Tech and they will approach it differently to the Sync Speed fault that may have been raised previously. Could potentially be a Cable link issue in the cabinet. 

Can't be certain but that is what i would recommend you do next. 

Give care a callback run through the diagnostics again and see if that helps.

mbames
13: Advanced Member

So, essentially you are saying that when vf sell you the "up to 38 service" with a minimum speed promise of "35Mbps" (in my case), they are then still able, and allowed to have insufficient throughput to enable you to achieve the minimum promised speed.

Surely their promised min speed should be based on the throughout and capacity of their backhaul, which appears to be totally incapable of supporting the number of customers they have.

When I next speak to them, I shall be sure to ensure they know I consider this to be a throughput issue.  I only mentioned the sync speeds, as the lady I was speaking to on the phone said "you are syncing at close to 40".  Will keep this thread updated with how things progress.

T_Scarface_M

Hi again,

The minimum guaranteed speed was introduced as an OFCOM guideline. Every broadband supplier will show an estimated line Sync Speed and if you go below that then it would normally indicate a problem on the line. As you're above the minimum Sync Speed then it doesn't indicate an issue with Sync Speed.

Now the throughput issue you're having could be related to a number of different factors. Your setup at home being one. How many devices you have connected at one time (Ethernet or WIFI) could be another. This is why the care team do all the home checks and get you to connect one device only and disconnect all others whilst doing a Speedtest. 

Then they can raise it to their tech team to try and resolve for you.

I can't do anymore than that, so if you have done all of the above and the speeds aren't to your satisfaction then i suggest to contact Customer service team and see what they can do for you.

mr9lt
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Adding to the woes of many, when did anyone notice the real decline of the performance of their broadband links, been through all the tests and as per others nothing gets resolved. Nice to see someone else who uses Samknows.one! 

Off to pull apart the NTE and go through Tier 2 but I won't hold my breath!

%download vodafone.pngVodafone.png

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)

@mr9lt I'm really sorry to hear you're having problems with your broadband speeds. Please let us know how you get on when you've contacted the team.

We'll be happy to forward your query along to our Broadband Complaints team if you can't find a resolution. 

Well after sitting in the tech queue twice and being dumped after 45 mins each time over the weekend surprisingly the network overnight has gone from 8Mb to 37Mb again! Oh for an explanation, nothing changed at my end!

TJ

@mr9lt I'm glad to hear that your speeds have improved 😊 Continue to monitor them and keep us updated!

mine improved over the weekend (60mbps out of 76mbps) as well but since yesterday I got 0.1mbps!!!!