Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HOW TO: Use a third party router on Vodafone VDSL

jonnywombat
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

On Firday afternoon Vodafone UK sent a corporate email telling their support team that they can now give out Broadband username and passwords.

I have now set up my own router, and here's what i did.

Step 1 Ring VF on 08080034515 and get your username and password. The support team member then emailed me my Log in info.

Step 2 Swap your router. Keep your VF router in case you ever get an issue and need tech support as they will not support your 3rd party device

Step 3 In your routers web interface access the WAN settings. Set connection type to PPPoE, enter username and password and leave all settings as default EXCEPT enable 802.1Q and set Vlan tag to 101.

Step 4 Save settings and apply. Your router should now connect to VF. Mine took a couple of minutes to get a connection and another couple from the router showing it was connected to actually being able to access the net

Step 5 After a few minutes the connection dropped, and it would not connect again. After investigation I was told this is to do with VF registering your router on there network. Hard reset your router. Power it down remove the power cord for 30 seconds and power back on.

Step 6 Enjoy

This is just based on my experience of setting up my router ASUS DSL-AC68U, YMMV. However the ASUS is syncd at 73.6meg, when the VF router syncd at 72.1 and I have noticed a marked improvment in performance.

HTH someone

Jonny

343 REPLIES 343

Don't forget you have 30 days to cancel without penalty. That MIGHT make them look harder at your situation  (though most CS  in India don't give a stuff). I assume you tried plugging direct into the test socket of the BT master socket to eliminate  in-house wiring issues?

rodgerredhat
1: Seeker

Thanks for this clarity.

Anyone else find that speeds are slower with your own routers vs Vodafone’s?

Vodafone: 25Mb

Draytek Vigor 2862AC: 21Mb

Bit strange. I couldn’t find the 802.1Q setting but didn’t suppose that would affect the speed?

cheers

Hi,

I have a BT homehub 5 unlocked with LEDE installed. Anyone used this with vodafone? I have the pppoe username and password and set vlan to 101. The router shows me sync speed max connection speed etc ( faster than the VF router syncs at by the way) but I just can't get on to the internet. 

So many settings! I usually like lots of settings as you can tweak everything but this is just confusing the hell out of me.

machare
13: Advanced Member

#PRS1000

Do you have:

userid in  the format dsl000123456atvodafone.co.uk  where at is an @ sign

authentication auto

obtain IP address automatically

Vlan active

802.1p = 0  (may not matter much)

802.1q =101

You don't want IPv6.

@macharewrote:

#PRS1000

Do you have:

@userid in  the format dsl000123456atvodafone.co.uk  where at is an @ sign

authentication auto

obtain IP address automatically

Vlan active

802.1p = 0  (may not matter much)

802.1q =101

You don't want IPv6.

The interface in LEDE didn't seem that simple but I was given a link that help and I am now connected. 

https://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/download/file.php?id=394

Took 2 minutes having spent 3 hours on it last night and this morning. 

Thought it might be useful to show the router I purchased off ebay

@prs1000

[Removed]

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove off  advertising content please see our Community Guidelines]

@prs1000wrote:

Thought it might be useful to show the router I purchased off ebay

@prs1000

[Removed]

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove off  advertising content please see our Community Guidelines]

Oops! The router is a LEDE OpenWRT Unlocked BT Home Hub 5 Fibre VDSL2 Gigabit wireless AC vpn router

🙂

Also glad you got the HH5 working, sorry I could not help at the time, I've not checked this forum in a longgg time, its easy once you get the hang of it :), I'm sure there are other models that do as good or a better a job nowadays, as long as you get the correct details and copy them into notepad to remove any formatting then people should be fine :Smiling:

Also @Bunn only just seen, I'm glad that it did the trick! Hopefully it stayed that way and maintained the speed!

@UnPotatwrote:

Also glad you got the HH5 working, sorry I could not help at the time, I've not checked this forum in a longgg time, its easy once you get the hang of it :), I'm sure there are other models that do as good or a better a job nowadays, as long as you get the correct details and copy them into notepad to remove any formatting then people should be fine :Smiling:

@Also @Bunn only just seen, I'm glad that it did the trick! Hopefully it stayed that way and maintained the speed!

No problem 🙂

It was simple once I used the LEDE guide. Its now easy to tweak settings to get the best from it. I was syncing at around 66meg on the VF router and a couple of days with the new one has it syncing over 70meg.

I also notice I have ZERO errors on the download and hardly any on the upload. Very happy with it and well worth 22 quid.

hi

i too am trying to setup my hh5 which worked ok on sky, but struggling on vodafone. i get errors of unable to connect to pppoe, i really want to use the built in modem bit do have openreach modem too, any suggestions