Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HOW TO: Use a third party router on Vodafone VDSL

jonnywombat
2: Seeker

On Firday afternoon Vodafone UK sent a corporate email telling their support team that they can now give out Broadband username and passwords.

I have now set up my own router, and here's what i did.

Step 1 Ring VF on 08080034515 and get your username and password. The support team member then emailed me my Log in info.

Step 2 Swap your router. Keep your VF router in case you ever get an issue and need tech support as they will not support your 3rd party device

Step 3 In your routers web interface access the WAN settings. Set connection type to PPPoE, enter username and password and leave all settings as default EXCEPT enable 802.1Q and set Vlan tag to 101.

Step 4 Save settings and apply. Your router should now connect to VF. Mine took a couple of minutes to get a connection and another couple from the router showing it was connected to actually being able to access the net

Step 5 After a few minutes the connection dropped, and it would not connect again. After investigation I was told this is to do with VF registering your router on there network. Hard reset your router. Power it down remove the power cord for 30 seconds and power back on.

Step 6 Enjoy

This is just based on my experience of setting up my router ASUS DSL-AC68U, YMMV. However the ASUS is syncd at 73.6meg, when the VF router syncd at 72.1 and I have noticed a marked improvment in performance.

HTH someone

Jonny

343 REPLIES 343

What happens if you connect a device to the LAN port of the Modem?

It's correct to use the WAN port of the router.  Have you enabled VLAN and passed 101 as the value?

It should not matter that you have a static IP - this is your internet facing IP.

cybernat
4: Newbie

Today I successfully followed the advice in this thread and set up my new TP-Link 9970v2 as reviewed by Kitz and also mentioned in this thread.

Good to see Kitz still providing internet connection advice, brings back memories from activity long ago on the forum pages of a well known Computer magazine.

Anyway, what a difference with the TP-Link.

Forty pounds well spent.

Hopefully it will continue to tenaciously cling on to the interweb connection, the Vodafone provided router let go far too often.

Sorry for lack of responses more important things have been occouring here our 12 year old dog has been unwell and I have been dealing with that,  Will probably make an attempt to get the Nighthawk installed later this week.

Again thanks for the advice and sorry for lack of response.

Jmh_120

Anyone tried to use Plusnet HG633 router in place of VF one? Got my username and password today, but not finding it obvious where to input data.  Grateful for any help, been doing a fair bit of self-teaching on optimising settings on VF router but frankly got fed up of 2.4Ghz not reaching through house. Had no issues previously (with Plusnet). 

machare
13: Advanced Member

The HG633 appears to be used by Talk Talk. Following these  instructions might help.

Thanks @machare, you are correct it is a TT router. Sorry for any confusion - I’ve had both in the past. 

I’ll use the info in this threads and see how I get on. 

I hope someone can help me...

I have had vodafone internet about a month, was suffering from dsl disconnects with stock router, after reading the forum i decided to try changing the router so i have a bthh5 with openwrt flashed onto it. 

I have set it up and connected to vodafone services, can get internet connection etc. My trouble is i still get constant dsl disconnections, over 20 a day, dont seem to have a stable connection for more than 40 minutes. It seems completely random, sometimes just a smart phone connected it disconnects so i cant see it being overloaded. 

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it my line or am i missing some advanced settings in WRT to make stability better? 

I have been through all the usual vodafone tech help, split ssid, change channels, use test sockets etc - no use. I am waiting for a call back from them but dont hold out much hope. I did ask them to check my line log and they also can see that there have been more than 20 dsl disconnects in the last 24 hours but had no solutions apart from a call back in 24 hours. 

Any help or suggestions appreaciated before i pull all my hair out and terminate my contract. 

TIA

machare
13: Advanced Member

@tulip11. Sounds like a problem with your line. Do you have an old HG612?  If so connect it to the covered up wan port on the Vodafone router and try that.

Thanka for your reply Machare, 

Unfortunately i dont have an old HG612, all i have is the stock vodafone router and a flashed bt hh5. I am currently plugged into the test socket with the bt hh5 and am at 45 minutes up time whilst waiting for a call back from tech help. :Hmm_Face: I am expecting the connection to drop any minute and all i have connected is a smart phone. 

When disconnected my system logs looks like this:

Fri Oct 12 13:01:51 2018 kern.warn kernel: [1] leave showtime
Fri Oct 12 13:01:51 2018 daemon.notice netifd: Network device 'dsl0' link is down
Fri Oct 12 13:01:51 2018 daemon.notice netifd: VLAN 'dsl0.101' link is down
Fri Oct 12 13:01:51 2018 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'wan' has link connectivity loss
Fri Oct 12 13:01:51 2018 daemon.notice netifd: Network alias '' link is down
Fri Oct 12 13:01:51 2018 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'wan6' has link connectivity loss
Fri Oct 12 13:01:51 2018 daemon.info pppd: Terminating on signal 15
Fri Oct 12 13:01:51 2018 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 23.2 minutes.
Fri Oct 12 13:01:51 2018 daemon.info pppd: Sent 2612450 bytes, received 7188663 bytes.
Fri Oct 12 13:01:51 2018 daemon.notice netifd: Network device 'pppoe-wan' link is down

....then it proceeds in reconnecting dsl and WAN connectivity. 

I also think it may be a problem with the line, although Vodafone admit that they can see 20 plus disconnects in the last 24 hours they say the line is working fine. Would router settings/router choice make a difference to what I explain above?